English Crabb 48 key

rcr27

Hi all

Yes you’ve probably seen it before and I’m the lucky one who got this concertina. (I’ve only been into concertinas for about 2 years so I’m not an expert and correct me if I’m wrong). In terms of condition, excellent: Tuned to A=440Hz (some notes are a little out on the push or pull). Not sure if the reeds are steel or brass, but it sounds fairly loud compared to a brass reeded like the tutor models, so Im thinking they’re steel. Is it really a Crabb? Well it has a Crabb stamp on the pad board and what seems to be an odd handwritten number “685” in the bellows frame.This makes me think that it is indeed orginial. Again I’m m not an expert on concertinas so I could be wrong, but I can certainly assure you that this isn’t a “jerk” at all... Here is the picture of the stamp.

7EAB246F-2B8C-44D3-B53A-0D75988C8FDD.png

16F0D83D-E5CF-4A97-A899-DD12FFA40F5B.jpeg

Edited by rcr27

The paper label on the bottom of the reed pan is something I've only seen on Lachenals. There is a longer serial number stamped on the inside of the bellows frame, looks something like 11881? It would help to see the action levers for additional confirmation. You can tell if the reeds are brass or steel from the colour of the metal (brass is more yellow) and the presence or not of rust.

The reeds are metal colour so yes they are steel. Actually yes there is that number there I just realised, seems like 11881 or 11831 can’t see properly but thanks for that. I will open it up again and see the action levers soon if I have spare time. 

Thanks

Yes there are many stamps barely visible. I will take a picture again on both sides. Perhaps this concertina was repaired at some point of its life. That’s probably why the concertina is in such a wonderful condition cosmetically. The bellows are like new, the thumb straps, the ends and everything is in excellent condition.