Another Video Game Concertina Sighting

Timv

After Sea of Thieves, the concertina makes another appearance in a video game. This time in a cowboy simulator (set in 1890s), called Red Dead Redemption 2. Does anybody recognize the song?

Edited by Timv

1 hour ago, David Barnert said:

Interesting. Sounds like a real concertina playing, but no attempt to get the bellows movement or finger action believable.

Did you know you can make the video appear in this window simply by typing its URL? See...

Thanks for the tip, I edited the original post now.

As for believability, he sometimes makes rapid changes of the bellows, which makes me think that it's an anglo. However, further details were probably left out since nobody expected the players to go into so much detail :D

Hey Tim, thanks for spotting this! I don't recognize the tune as being from any particular cowboy song, so it's probably something the musical director composed. Like "Sea of Thieves" where Robin Beanland wrote all the music. Now Assassin's Creed, on the other hand, wonderfully included lots of traditional sea shanties.

Gary

• 2 months later...

To anyone concerned, I found that this tune was a rendition of "Home, dearie, home", thanks to this other video I recently found

Now I need to decide which version I want to learn first. I do need to practice singing while playing the concertina, but it's really hard.

Gary, I haven't had a chance to try it out, but the fact that it is in key of C is very good news!

I thought the song sounded familiar, but I never did connect it to Home Boys Home. Now that I know the titles are very similar, it's really obvious :D

• 1 year later...

Hello, just came here to mention that yesterday I was playing "Red Dead Redemption 2" using the character John Marston following completion of the main story. I was in the town of Strawberry in the night time, and there was another concertina player on the porch of a house next to the town post office. Unfortunately I didn't capture a video, but if any other RDR2 players read this I thought I'd let ye know about some more beautiful concertina music in the game.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bruce McCaskey said:

Forgive me if I'm out of context or confused between games and versions, but isn't this the same game that Jodi was describing in his post last year?

Yes, it is. The music played here is Jody's and the person playing the concertina in the video was motion captured by him.