Reed making a rattling sound.

Thought Id have a go at repairing my old 1 row melodeon. 

One of The bass notes needed more

Effort to get it to make a sound so I gently bent the reed back into its position so that the space between the reed and the air chamber is less. That worked however another problem with one of the reeds is that it make a rattling noise. 

The rattle sound is made on the opening of the bellows. 

What do you think? My guess is that the reed is hitting the reed frame if. This is what is happening what would be the correct method to fix it? 

Thanks

2 hours ago, saguaro_squeezer said:

I get that noise when the reed frame is under pressure.  

That‘s what I experienced too once - very different from a tired valve soundwise - but it was a (too quality) concertina reed, with a very tight fit, wouldn’t think it could happen that easily with an accordion (melodeon) reed...

Best wishes - ?

Wolf, I get it often enough since I live in the desert SW of the US.  There's always a bit of adjustment when a concertina comes over and dries out a bit.  Depending on the quality, sometimes only one reed.  The 50s Wheatstone 1T that I just bought has had most of the adjustments ... but it weighs very little so I expect that the wood is lighter.

I repair lots of old Hohners and this sort of rattle is a fairly common problem on  basses.   It's almost always caused by the reed tongue hitting the frame.   This can either be a burr on the edge of the reed tongue, a burr on the edge of the reed plate vent, or a spot of corrosion on the side of the reed plate vent if it is zinc.  If it happens on opening the bellows then it is the hidden reed under the reed plate that you need to work on.  It can also be the reed tongue off-centre.