Shepherd's Rocking Carol

wunks

I've been thinking about tunes to play for the holiday season.  While rummaging about in the thrift shop I found an old piece of sheet music for a "Shepherds Rocking Carol" It says it's a Czech folk song.  It would take me a couple of hours to parse it out as I don't sight read and then I wouldn't know how it should really sound.  Does anyone here know it and , if so would you play it?

1 hour ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

why not provide the dots here? maybe someone would be willing to take it up... :)

Hmmm...  The arrangement is written in 5 parts:

Soprano, alto, baritone, flute and handbells/glockenspiel with optional parts for bells and glockenspiel.  Lyrics are included.  To be played "softly slowly".  Key of G with a 2/2 time signature.  I'm assuming the soprano part is the lead.  I'll bet it would sound gorgeous with a concertina or two and maybe a dulcimer or bowed psaltry.  Lets see if anyone else responds.  I'd mail it to someone willing to work it up for a presentation for the holidays!

How would I "provide the dots"  Wolf?  I'm fairly archaic as to my tech. skills......?

The first tune I understand... Not so simple  actually, harmonically challenging...

As to your question how to provide the dots, a smartphone pic of the sheet would do the trick f.i., if you post or pm it I would love to give the setting a try...

Best wishes - ?

After giving it a try, it has to be pointed out that the delicate harmonies are in the melody, as the tune starts in the „Lydian“ mode (with an augmented fourth) to then continue in plain and simple major („Ionian“). So not Twinkle Twinkle actually! however, there are different ways to built the harmonic progressing from there...

Thanks a lot for pointing us to this lovely tune!

Edited by Wolf Molkentin

It has probably been all too late in the night obviously - omitted all the „extra“ quavers (however without compromising the melodic line too much I think) - ?

will improve on that at some point later...

Edited by Wolf Molkentin

• 3 weeks later...