Bellows Papers

Don't get my wrong. I love my Morse Anglo. I think it's superb and makes me very happy when I play it.

However, I've been thinking that some bellows papers would spruce it up some. The question is, how do you go about putting them on. It's not like I want to take Elmers Glue and just slap them on.

Anyone with any hints?

be careful, bellows papers are not just convenient 'wallpaper', yes they are cosmetic, but the morse construction does not require or allow for them, all you are going to is is add bulk to the bellows folds. The bulk is often noticable after re-papering an old instrument and that is only done as a necessity.

Dave

Bellows papers had a very real practical purpose too: they were an inexpensive way to hide the bellows card for the methods of bellows making that used minimal leather.

Often adding bellows papers to bellows that already have a bellows covering (we use - as do many vintage makers - "buckram", a reinforced leather-embossed fabric/paper product) not only adds unwanted bulk, but may harm the bellows - or oppositely - may not stick well!

The self-adhering type don't seem to be very compatible with some bellows as the bellows surface finish can be waxy (the leather parts) or slick (synthetic finish to make the buckram durable).

The self-adhering type don't seem to be very compatible with some bellows as the bellows surface finish can be waxy (the leather parts) or slick (synthetic finish to make the buckram durable).

Instead of papers, what about just painting designs on bellows segments, like Mark did on his banjo? :)

(Of course, one would have to use paint that dried completely free of tackiness, regardless of how tacky the artwork might be. :P)

Often adding bellows papers to bellows that already have a bellows covering (we use - as do many vintage makers - "buckram", a reinforced leather-embossed fabric/paper product) not only adds unwanted bulk, but may harm the bellows - or oppositely - may not stick well!

Well, maybe I'm beyond the pale then, as I'm putting together what I might call an "Art project" that involves papering some unadorned bellows. I may have it done by the NE Conc. workshop and if so y'all can see it then. I was inspired by Ken Sweeney's Tenor-treble Aeola, on which he used cigar bands for bellows papers! (I'm not using cigar bands...)

• 2 weeks later...