Old English music, folk songs, and ragtime on Anglo

Hi Brian, just watched the most recent video, much enjoyed - Robinson‘s tune I used to play myself, but very differently as your take is so impressively taking full advantage of the Anglo, admirably confident and steady too!

Best wishes - ? 

2 hours ago, Brian Peters said:

Interesting to hear our different interpretations of the harmony - I like your descending bass line.

Thank you, Brian. So do I, but not everybody does...

49 minutes ago, Brian Peters said:

David, will you be processing with the dancers at those street fairs?  I found playing for 20 minutes whilst processing with Pinewoods Morris when they danced AB at camp last year pretty hard on the wrist and hand muscles!

Yes, I will. 45-minute sets including the horn dance and various border dances. Outdoors, moving with the horn dance, standing in place for the border. Two or three sets in Saratoga (in the evening), three in Troy, and five or six in Rhinebeck. I’ve been doing it for 30+ years and have not noticed the problems you mention. The only problem is the cold. Fortunately, I have found I can play perfectly adequately wearing glove liners from the local sporting goods store. I have also accompanied the horn dance many times at Pinewoods. No gloves needed there (then).

FXFR9992_black.jpg

Edited by David Barnert

Interesting, David B.  I'd have thought your instrument is heavier than mine, too.  When it comes to playing standing, I would always do that when accompanying songs, but I often sit down to play instrumentals because it gives me more control, at least in certain tunes depending on how much bellows work there is, and sometimes on the fingerings.  However, during a concert set I'd be alternating anglo with other instruments, so I'm not accustomed to playing standing for a long period.  Maybe I'm just not sufficiently used to it.

On the other hand, I know plenty of anglo players who can't play standing at all.

6 minutes ago, Brian Peters said:

When it comes to playing standing, I would always do that when accompanying songs, but I often sit down to play instrumentals because it gives me more control, at least in certain tunes depending on how much bellows work there is, and sometimes on the fingerings.

I also prefer to play seated, when possible. Holding the weight of the instrument becomes one less task my hands have to do (it rests on my right knee). But I find I can (and must) play morris tunes standing. I can’t play this standing.