WTB: Distressed Crane duet

SteveS

Hi everyone

I've been thinking about getting myself a Crane/Triumph duet for some time.

I'm looking for a distressed Crane in need for restoration and tlc.

My ideal instrument is:

- minimum 55 keys

- wooden ends

- Lachenal new model or similar spec Wheatstone

Since I can undertake all repair operations the state of distress of the instrument isn't so important, but it must be complete in its parts.

• 4 months later...

Hi Steve,

I have a 42 button Lachenal Crane that was previously restored. The left side accidentals are now wheezy and I took it to the Buttonbox for an evaluation.  Bob said that the reed pan blocks on that side had slipped and caused the reed pan to warp.  It still plays great except for those three notes.  If you are interested I can take some pics and post.  If you want it I'll take $400 and will include shipping.  Alan

On 3/28/2019 at 9:48 PM, aprelias said:

Hi Steve,

I have a 42 button Lachenal Crane that was previously restored. The left side accidentals are now wheezy and I took it to the Buttonbox for an evaluation.  Bob said that the reed pan blocks on that side had slipped and caused the reed pan to warp.  It still plays great except for those three notes.  If you are interested I can take some pics and post.  If you want it I'll take $400 and will include shipping.  Alan

Thanks Alan - I’m after an instrument with 55 keys minimum so I think I’ll pass on this one.

Edited by SteveS

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Daniel for the heads-up.

This is certainly distressed and needs at least new raised ends, by the look of things.

I can make raised ends - so could be a good project.

I was out of reach of an internet connection but knowing you were interested Steve, I probably wouldn't have bid anyway - but did you get it?  It seemed to sell for rather more than I thought it would given the unknown provenance, date and internal condition

Alex West

1 hour ago, Daniel Hersh said:

Final price seems a bit high to me too (GBP 566.00 - approx $741 US).   I wonder if the buyer might have had more information, either from a personal inspection or from discussions with the seller.

I requested more info about eg reeds, provenance, original parts, and didn’t receive any additional info. I set my highest bid allowing for the very significant amount of work required.

I guess we‘re all aware of another possibility: bidders on eBay are frequently paying way too much because they have been letting themselves been swept away in the bidding process without having set a reasonable limit... ?

It just takes two of them...