considerations re the idea of a Duet concertina

Wolf Molkentin

3 hours ago, Little John said:

B music where I vamp a Bb major chord for two bars 

John

Would you please explain what you mean by 'vamp'?

I have always associated it with the pianist playing a repeated short pattern of chords 'ad nauseum' at the beginning of a piece while the rest of the band members are shufflling their sheet music!

Thx. Don.

Edited by Don Taylor

4 hours ago, Sprunghub said:

Wolf ( and everyone else..... ) thanks for the input.  May I ask, are 'parallel sixths' the same as "Successive 6ths" as per terminology in the S.A. Tutor, I am presuming they are ?

I have that page from the Tutor written up in my own form of ABC ( which is literally ABC ! ).  I sat for some time trying to work out Tie 'Em Up yesterday afternoon as per the 'sat on a boat at Sidmouth' version and I am getting somewhere, I think.  Having my instrument in the same tuning as what I am hearing through the speaker helps.  I think most of that accompaniment sounds as if it is being played in paired 3rd's and 6th's?  It is, in truth probably done quite simply, but none the worse as a performance for that.... 

Could you just post the respecitve ABC code? I would gladly go through it to answer the questions raised...

Edit: I see, no code here - do post it anyway (or send a PM), as long as you deem it readable for me...

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
ABC, see above

51 minutes ago, Don Taylor said:

John

Would you please explain what you mean by 'vamp'?

I have always associated it with the pianist playing a repeated short pattern of chords 'ad nauseum' at the beginning of a piece while the rest of the band members are shufflling their sheet music!

Thx. Don.

Well, I'm probably misusing the word! I'm referring to the style where you play a bass note followed by a couple of other notes from the desired chord - "oom-pah", or "oom-pah-pah" for a waltz. In the case of Parsons Farewell it's actually "oom-pah-pah-rest". If you are able listen to the video you'll see what I mean.

LJ

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

otherwise it could be something like pah-rest-pah-rest :)

Indeed; or if you want to keep it really simple just a single Bb/F fifth for the whole bar. Or Bb/F for the first bar and G/D for the second. Endless possibilities ...

LJ

A short update re the topic:

Developing the skills of playing basic tunes (i.e. harmonies with a melody line on top) on either side and occasionally putting things together is still what I'm putiing into and getting from my playing the Crane. I'm loving this feature, as hoped for: two instruments combined and - to a certain degree - played independently. Of course the emphasis might temporarily be put on just one of the sides, but this would result in an alternation which could also be regarded as part of this "duet" constellation.

Not yet ready to record, understandably I presume...

Best wishes - ?