my first Anglo recording :)

as played with my 20b C/G Mahogany Lachenal which I really became fond over the last weeks.

So it's Monck's March and Shepherd's Hey (what a tune, the latter!!) for starters.

Comments welcome, as re my previous EC recordings!

Best wishes - ?

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
tuning added - and now corrected the 1st tune‘s name according and thanks to Paul
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

So it's Monk's March and Shepherds's Hey (what a tune, the latter!!) for starters.

Comments welcome, as re my previous EC recordings!

Being pedantic, I think that should be Monck's March, named after General Monck (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Monck,_1st_Duke_of_Albemarle).

He was famous for turning up late for battles, and the somewhat erratic rhythm of the tune is supposed to represent the way he slowly marched his army!

I agree that it is a good tune though - quite common in sessions. It also turns up in Irish sessions as Proudlock's Hornpipe, with the usual hornpipe swung rhythm.

Both tunes well played, and its interesting the effects that playing it on the anglo makes - it would be good to hear the same tune played sequentially and similarly on Anglo and English.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much Paul - I‘m truly glad that my first steps into the Anglo world are deemed o.k.!

And as to the suggested comparism, that‘s interesting, and tricky in a way. With tunes like these (albeit not exactly these two) in mind I kept feeling the urge of giving the Anglo a try - and your hint was really needed to nevertheless give them a go on the EC now.

First thing I found out, as already assumed: They really have to be played in G maj then - however nice this 20b Lachenal sounds in the higher register, my ECs positively don‘t (at least not here).

Second (also not to my surprise): Exactly mimicking the Anglo versions (and I’m not referring to faking the push/pull alteration of course) on the EC would be a painful affair - particularly with the B section of Monck‘s (I used to know that at some point...) March

(and third, as I was already guessing from my recording: It appears to be much easier to keep the pace steady with the Anglo...).

I obstain from describing how I would play (or better: just have played) these tunes with the (TT) EC - because I will be posting another recording ASAP (presumably on the following weekend as I‘m usually too tired following my working days), certainly taking liberties with my Anglo versions but seeking compatibility to an appropriate degree.

Great to have this exchange of ideas and suggestions here - thanks a lot again, Paul!

Best wishes - ?

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
adjusting a word, clarification

On 11/4/2018 at 7:40 PM, Wolf Molkentin said:

So it's Monck's March and Shepherd's Hey (what a tune, the latter!!) for starters.

Really sweet! Is there a Morris dance team near you? I go to a lot of events with many Morris musicians. Sounds like you’d fit right in.

5 hours ago, Paul_Hardy said:

Being pedantic, I think that should be Monck's March, named after General Monck

I hate to say it, but more Morris dancers probably know it as “Drunk’s March” than anything else. Mugs of beer instead of hankies or sticks. Empty by the time the dance is through.

4 hours ago, David Barnert said:

Really sweet! Is there a Morris dance team near you? I go to a lot of events with many Morris musicians. Sounds like you’d fit right in.

I'm glad you like my recording and greatly appreciate the further commenting in particular as I was in fact aiming at modestly incorporating some Morris spirit here. I'm not aware of a Morris side anyway near where I live, which is at the Baltic. However, my acquaintance with Morris dance has mainly Baltic origins in so far as a Swedish friend (Rickard Kumlien) is part of the instrumental section of a Stockholm-based Morris team, and I've listened to his playing in Morris style on his fantastic G/D Wheatstone quite a few times.

Must be fun to play for the dancers...!

Best wishes - ?

2 hours ago, wunks said:

Sounds wonderful!  I like the light and varied touch with the lower harmonies.  Lets the melody shine!  :) 

Thank you so much, very glad you like my approach, which feels quite natural with this sweet and simple (see other thread) little instrument in my hands...

Best wishes - ?

On 11/5/2018 at 11:53 PM, Paul_Hardy said:

it would be good to hear the same tune played sequentially and similarly on Anglo and English.

Hi @Paul_Hardy - here's my demo recording with my model 24 treble EC (in Cmaj for closer comparability, contrary to my former declaration after having tried the tunes on the TT).

What do you say? I like the Anglo recording better (no surprise, with tunes like these in mind I tried the new-for-me system).

Thank you once again for your attention. 

Best wishes - ?

Edited by Wolf Molkentin

On 11/13/2018 at 12:44 AM, Wolf Molkentin said:

Hi @Paul_Hardy - here's my demo recording with my model 24 treble EC (in Cmaj for closer comparability, contrary to my former declaration after having tried the tunes on the TT).

What do you say? I like the Anglo recording better (no surprise, with tunes like these in mind I tried the new-for-me system).

I like them both, and i'm impressed with your delicate ornamentation on the English. The EC version is more legato, without the 'snatches' that punctuate the Anglo version. I'm sure you could make them more similar by including more bellows reversals on the English - Rob Harbron had us practising tunes reversing on every bar, then again every strong beat, then finally reversing every beat.It felt strange (I'm used to using bellows like a bow on longer phrases), but gave us different tune textures to choose from.

Regards,

22 hours ago, Paul_Hardy said:

I like them both, and i'm impressed with your delicate ornamentation on the English. The EC version is more legato, without the 'snatches' that punctuate the Anglo version. I'm sure you could make them more similar by including more bellows reversals on the English - Rob Harbron had us practising tunes reversing on every bar, then again every strong beat, then finally reversing every beat.It felt strange (I'm used to using bellows like a bow on longer phrases), but gave us different tune textures to choose from.

Regards,

Thanks a lot once again, Paul! Actually I'm not applying this parallel-third-stuff very often, but was looking for an "English" counterpart to my broader Anglo approach, and I'm very glad it sounds appealing to you.

Re bellows reversals, I had to do that a lot with my leaky Excelsior, and I agree that it makes good sense to have this feature available (when playing an English Jig I would change bellows direction following every "5" at the least, but the "bowing" option is important to me as well under different circumstances).

Besides, I'm much looking forward to the teaching of Rob Harbron at the German Concertina Meeting in 2019!

Best wishes - ?

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
typo

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Rich C R said:

Thanks for posting this.   For myself I preferred to listen to the EC version though it did sound a little slower than with the Anglo but I enjoyed both.

Thank you for commenting - interesting to learn that you actually prefer the second version (glad that you like both, though) which I also like in a way, and - which I find of importance - clearly wouldn't exist without having moved to the Anglo first; I'm sure it's mutual influencing, and that's what I'm looking for (and am trying to achieve with the Duet too).