Jeffries Bros Praed St, Anglo.

Wheezy Rider

This 46? Button Jeffries Bros Anglo ( I believe) belonged to my late father who purchased it secondhand in 1935. I really don't know too much about concertinas but I'm sure those more knowledgable will know what it is from the button charts attached. All buttons except the right hand in Eb work. The bellows are sound and it seems to have had replacement handles fitted. I have no real idea how much this is worth except that it is potentially quite valuable. I am selling on behalf of my sister who actually inherited it. There is a very old box with it which is in poor condition and has a monogrammed R on the lid, the concertina is a tight fit so I don't think it was made for it, I think it may have been my Grandfathers who I know played a concertina.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

There are a number of online calculators which claim to convert 1935 prices to today's values, but they all come up with wildly different figures! All I can say with confidence is £3/10/- in 1935 is equivalent to to just a few hundred pounds today. I think we can safely say this instrument will be worth a lot more than that.

Interesting too that it was bought from a general outfitter rather than a music shop.

My mother bought a Singer sewing machine, which I still have,from the same shop at the same time for £4 so they obviously dealt in various secondhand items, she made and repaired our clothes for many years, that machine really earned its keep. I guess Dad thought that justified him buying the concertina which he never really mastered for his pleasure at a cost that must have been a weeks wages in 1935. The sewing machine is probably only worth £20 now. The concertina has now been sold into the concertina fraternity and will hopefully be bought back to top condition and be enjoyed for many years to come.

Right you are -- I wrongly assumed that when the seller referred to it as an Anglo that  it was a C/G Anglo.

I did not consider an Anglo in a different key, which it clearly is.

My mistake. Sorry for any confusion.