New British £50 note.

I've also nominated him. Surely he should be a good candidate, with his major contributions to science in acoustics, optics and electrics?

However I suspect that Stephen Hawking will win because of the recent obituary and prior film publicity!

13 minutes ago, Paul_Hardy said:

I've also nominated him. Surely he should be a good candidate, with his major contributions to science in acoustics, optics and electrics?

However I suspect that Stephen Hawking will win because of the recent obituary and prior film publicity!

I expect that is right. We can only try.

23 minutes ago, Paul_Hardy said:

To be fair there is a little more to it than that. He was a genuinely brilliant scientist who fully deserved being buried in Westminster Abbey next to Newton. His work on black holes, in particular Hawking radiation and its theoretical consequences, has become part of the core of cosmology with great implications for the beginning of our universe. And he did all that with the major handicap of the disease which paralysed and eventually killed him.

Have a read of this and you'll see what I mean.

Chris

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chris Timson said:

To be fair there is a little more to it than that. He was a genuinely brilliant scientist who fully deserved being buried in Westminster Abbey next to Newton. ...

I wasn't trying to belittle Stephen Hawking. One of my lifetime memories was hearing him give a lecture in 1973 on the thermodynamics of black holes, and whether they could be a portal for interstellar travel. He had just got his first voice synthesizer, and used that for the main talk, but when it came to questions he answered in his own voice, with the aid of an interpreter. It was I think the last time he did so in public.

In his introduction he said that in his work the usual units of metres, kg, seconds weren't appropriate - he dealt with objects at least the size of the sun, during the most minute fractions of a second, at incredible temperatures. So if you set the speed of light (c)=1, the charge on the electron=1, and, Planck's constant=1, then you got a set of units that were "damn hot, damn heavy and damn fast", and his equations became a lot simpler!

Anyway, we are straying away from concertinas ...

So I have always been a big fan of Ada. But I had never heard of Rosalind Franklin. Although I always considered a highlight of my life when I was 17  and walking by the University’s Of Chicago Presidents home and who should come out but James Watson . He invited me in for tea with his wife. 

My Factory stands on land once owned by Ada Lovelaces family. Just a coincidence that in 1983/4 we made the first mouldings for Bruno Moreau and Andre Nacatch for their invention of the Smart Card. I had great difficulty understanding how you could download Notional cash on to this micro chip. What was he talking about !. I have a certain respect for the Hawking proposal as I to have the dreaded M N D. I a,m unable to even get a scale of C from my Tina

It's not often I stray into anything remotely resembling political correctness but, much as I'd find it satisfying to see the inventor of the concertina on a bank note, I think "for the greater good" the Treasury should look at other options than white males.

British female scientists:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/dorothy-hodgkin-and-the-most-inspirational-british-women-scientists-9353921.html

On 11/3/2018 at 9:27 AM, Paul_Hardy said:

...So if you set the speed of light (c)=1, the charge on the electron=1, and, Planck's constant=1, then you got a set of units that were "damn hot, damn heavy and damn fast", and his equations became a lot simpler...

Now, that is damn' interesting. Do you by any chance know of a reference where this idea is explained in more detail?

It's about time I brushed up the Physics I did 40+ years ago, and that sounds like as good a place as any to start...

Ta.

Roger

On 11/13/2018 at 12:16 PM, lachenal74693 said:

Now, that is damn' interesting. Do you by any chance know of a reference where this idea is explained in more detail?

It's about time I brushed up the Physics I did 40+ years ago, and that sounds like as good a place as any to start...

Ta.

Roger

Google for "Natural Units", or see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_units

On 11/6/2018 at 11:07 PM, OLDNICKILBY said:

My Factory stands on land once owned by Ada Lovelaces family. Just a coincidence that in 1983/4 we made the first mouldings for Bruno Moreau and Andre Nacatch for their invention of the Smart Card. I had great difficulty understanding how you could download Notional cash on to this micro chip. What was he talking about !. I have a certain respect for the Hawking proposal as I to have the dreaded M N D. I a,m unable to even get a scale of C from my Tina

Sorry to hear that Nick...

Chris

• 1 month later...