my best audience

When I lived in the country and was learning concertina decades ago, I was playing one day and heard a strange resonant hum. I stopped, it stopped; I started playing again, it started. Finally I discovered that the neighbor's St Bernard had walked a quarter mile (he had never come over to our house before that) and was under the open window next to me howling along. My own dog liked to climb up on the sofa and lie next to the concertina as a I played, also. I guess there's something about the sound that they like.

• Like 1

I was in Vermont staying with a friend a year ago and played my concertina on his porch a few times. Once a woodchuck came out of some nearby trees and sat a few yards away, whether in disgust at being disturbed or appreciatively I can't say.

• Like 1

My basset hound howls along as I play my Anglo.  Likewise, I can't tell if it’s in pain or pleasure, but he does wag his tail, so I hope the latter.  He does the same when I play the fiddle, but is either indifferent to, or a fan of, the tenor banjo and guitar.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2018 at 10:25 AM, Wolf Molkentin said:

True, as soon as I‘m picking up one of my concertinas he‘ll be joining me, apparently enjoying the music!

Sorry, I have to ask... If he's enjoying the music that much, why is he lying on his back, legs in the air, 'playing dead'?

Roger

When I was 13, we got a dog, and I always wondered if he appreciated my music. Back then I didn't yet play concertina, but played cello, recorder, and classical guitar. Five years later, when I went off to college, I called home one day and my mother told me that a piece I was playing on the guitar (the 1st Villa Lobos prelude) had come up on the radio and the dog perked up and started sniffing around for me.

• Like 2