left hand c draw is flat and muffled

My one year eight-month old Ceili anglo from the Button Box is great. However, recently I've noticed that the left hand c draw note is muffled and flat. The b push is fine. Is this something I could fix myself?

Thanks.

Marta

Sounds like a humidity issue to me (the seasons are changing).

Don't do anything until you know that this is not the issue.

Also, your Ceili is still under warrantee (I think) so you may also 

want to contact them, but I would rule out humidity first.

Perhaps this "Concertina Care" thread might help:

Edited by Noel Ways

I have the exact same problem but A drawn (not a Ceili) just about one week ago. I have told by seller (Algar) the reason could be humidity (like Noel Ways said).

But I am still looking for a solution ! In my case, reed and reed frame is good so it is probably reed frame placement or valve (like Frank Edgley said) or...

I am a total newbie in maintenance and I find it so complex to find the reason...

Nicolas

23 minutes ago, papawemba said:

I have the exact same problem but A drawn (not a Ceili) just about one week ago. I have told by seller (Algar) the reason could be humidity (like Noel Ways said).

But I am still looking for a solution ! In my case, reed and reed frame is good so it is probably reed frame placement or valve (like Frank Edgley said) or...

I am a total newbie in maintenance and I find it so complex to find the reason...

Nicolas, you might pluck the reed with a piece of paper whilst pressing the reed shoe onto a desktop or similar with a tuner nearby, so you will learn about its eigen frequence (which will not be to far from the effective pitch). If it should be more or less like it's supposed to be you'd be able to rule out the tuning of the reed...

Best wishes - ?

Humidity seems unlikely to cause the same issues in a waxed on accordion reed as it does in a dovetailed concertina reed. If Ceilis are dropped and the wax cracked, or if dust has caught in the reed then either ofthese things could result in muffled sound and flat pitch. Your concertina is not far from home and a call to the BB might be all that is needed.

A reed can sound muffled one day and perfectly OK the next.

The cause may be an obstruction such as a hair, dust, etc., or a slight change of temperature or humidity.  The wood and the metal parts expand and move differently in response to changes of temperature and humidity.  With the very fine tolerances involved, the reed can sometimes become slightly too tight in the slot.

Another thing to consider is whether it sounds muffled to anyone else.  Each reed is in a different position from every other reed on the instrument (obvs!) and the sound that the player hears is sometimes affected by the position and orientation of the reed relative to their hands and ears.  An Anglo has many duplicated notes and even when a test shows that they are pitched the same, they often sound different in quality when played.  A push note has a different character from a pull note, and a note that is under the cup of your hand will sound different from one that is towards the front of the instrument.  If you're sceptical about the effect of your hands being between the note and your ear, think what harmonica players do to mould their sound.

Another possible cause is if you play near to an obstacle, some of the notes on that side can either be reflected back harshly (from a wall or patio door) or in a slightly muffled way (if there is a curtain, or a space under a table on that side.  This effect varies to some extent depending on the pitch of the note.  I have to be careful choose which way to face when playing my piccolo Anglo in the kitchen.  (Indeed, my wife feels that the acoustics of the 10 acre field at the other end of the village suit it far better.)

Every concertina player hears their own concertina differently from how the audience hears it.  A couple of weeks ago in a post-Morris session, I was barely able to hear my Anglo but the melodeon player next to me shuffled further away because the sound of it was distracting him!

Thanks. I've tested it on several folks, and yes, it's quite muffled and flat of pitch to all surveyed.  I'm well aware that pull and push tones vary, but this is not within the usual variation. And it's gone on for several days.  I am going to try removing dust.