Pierced Metal Sides

The article on miniature and semi-miniature concertinas here contains several illustrations which appear to

be of metal-ended concertinas.

Later: Silly me! I should have posted pictures of my own metal-ended instruments:

First: A modern Marcus G/D hybrid (Purchased from a member here about 3 years ago. This is the one I use

for t'Morris - good and loud - blow yer socks off two counties away!)

Second: A vintage George Jones C/G (Also purchased from a local parishioner. Serial number 20839, date?)

Much later stil:. Ah! I now see that the OP related to metal-ends with additional fretting on the hexagonal edge/side of the 

wrap-around metal end (as opposed to a simple end-plate). I should have clocked that straight from the start I agolopise

for muddying the waters...

Roger

IMG_20150208_154922.jpg.3e1ded7a0e5f877fd88b91a167340d21.jpg

P_20161028_154448.jpg

Edited by lachenal74693

Thanks Takayuki, Roger, Peter and Adrian! I was discussing with a client the possibility of my making an instrument with sides like this, but I believe he's decided against the idea.

Adrian: a member contacted me off-forum to say he's heard a couple of instruments with pierced metal sides and they both have a very piercing sound. I suppose whether that is a good or a bad thing probably depends on the sort of environment you play in!

• 2 weeks later...

What a beauty - just a shame the 38 buttons are arranged in that way - I wouldn't be able to get my head around it...

I wonder who now owns the Crabb on that C&S cover with the more standard layout.

Adrian

Edited by adrian brown

@David Hornett asked me to pass this on because he's unable to log into the forum right now. He says he's familiar with two fully-metal-ended Dipper Anglos, both exceptionally loud instruments.

One was owned by the late Peter Ellis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNAU9Yk9njM

The other is owned by Ray Simpson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJh29ns0Eh

• Downvote 1

My data on Lachenals (of which 3359 Anglos) does  not contain any with side-fretted metal ends. However, there is one with side -fretted  wood ends--No 84741; 30 key ; bone buttons, steel reeds; 6-fold bellows. I held a similar one in 2002, but did not get the serial number. I know that it was 2002, beacause I saw it at the home of  the host for a Charles Wheatstone 200th birthday celebration. 

Edited by Dowright

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Takayuki YAGI said:

Just FYI, McNeela lists a Jeffries with pierced metal sides now.

https://mcneelamusic.com/c-jeffries-38-key-concertina/

Thanks Takayuki. Some of the metalwork on this one looks pretty crude, I wonder if it was a later modification. Also it kind of looks like somebody has added a baffle under part of the side fretwork on the bottom of the right hand side.

side_piercing.jpg

• Downvote 1

Looks more like sellotape holding the ends together!

BTW, I have a relatively early Dipper (No 104) with pierced ends.  It's a GD but with the G row an octave higher than a normal GD. It's a very piercing sound but how much of that is due to the pierced ends and how much the pitching is difficult to tell

Alex West