20 TASTEN C/G ANGLO CONCERTINA.

Ed Vogel.

Hi there!

I've got a 20 buttons c/g deutsche Konzertina; I'm learning alone so far (and mostly by ear).

Will you have any material with methods to learn? I guess so, but it's faster to ask what to look for. Hahaha!

Greetings from Argentina.

Thanks!!!! ?

If you ever go to Buenos Aires there are a number of young people there teaching themselves to play and I'm sure they would be happy to meet you.  They can be reached through the La Plata Comhaltas Facebook page.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel Hersh said:

This is 170 years old, but I think it's still pretty good: http://www.concertina.com/merris/minasi-german-tutor-1846/index.htm .

true - however it might be mentioned that on the LH G-row the lowest note on the push of the German concertina explained there is a G instead of the B note seeming to be common at least with the 20b instruments I'm currently playing...

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
clarification
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

true - however it might be mentioned that on the LH G-row the lowest note on the push of the German concertina explained there is a G instead of the B note seeming to be common at least with the 20b instruments I'm currently playing...

The lowest note on the inside row (G row on a CG) varies a lot, especially on the pull.  It depends on whether the maker or owner wants the two rows to follow the same pattern, or prefers to avoid the unnecessary duplication.

Back to the original question:

A lot will depend on what you want to play: what tunes, what style, etc.   However, the 20b, because of its limitations, rewards disciplined practice until you know your scales.

That means start off by getting hold of a chart of what notes are on each button.

Starting on the left hand, 3rd button, outside row, play 2 full octaves, crossing onto the right hand.  Play them up and down and at different speeds.

A useful exercise is to play little patterns going up and down the scale.  You can improvise, but I mean things like:

C D E  D E F  E F G  F G A  G A B  A B C      (A repeating pattern that goes 1 2 3  2 3 4 etc. all the way up the scale.)

Now do the same on the G row.

Now try to find the obvious places where you can play a C major scale crossing the rows.

The most useful ones to start off with are:

C D E F /change row/G A B C

C D E F G /change row/ A B C

C D E F G A /change row/B/change row/C

Note that there are over 100 ways of playing just 1 octave of the C major scale, but some of them are considerably more useful than others!

Now try to pick out simple tunes that don't use too much of the scale.  I'd say good beginner's tunes include:

Camptown Racetrack

Oh Susannah

When the Saints Go Marching In

After that, it's a case of finding bits of tune that you recognise, constantly trying new things, and trying to get every chance to meet and hear other concertina players, and look on You Tube for inspiration.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bill N said:

If you ever go to Buenos Aires there are a number of young people there teaching themselves to play and I'm sure they would be happy to meet you.  They can be reached through the La Plata Comhaltas Facebook page.

Thank you so much Bill, I didn't know that. I'll talk to them right now.

11 hours ago, Mikefule said:

The lowest note on the inside row (G row on a CG) varies a lot, especially on the pull.  It depends on whether the maker or owner wants the two rows to follow the same pattern, or prefers to avoid the unnecessary duplication.

Back to the original question:

A lot will depend on what you want to play: what tunes, what style, etc.   However, the 20b, because of its limitations, rewards disciplined practice until you know your scales.

That means start off by getting hold of a chart of what notes are on each button.

Starting on the left hand, 3rd button, outside row, play 2 full octaves, crossing onto the right hand.  Play them up and down and at different speeds.

A useful exercise is to play little patterns going up and down the scale.  You can improvise, but I mean things like:

C D E  D E F  E F G  F G A  G A B  A B C      (A repeating pattern that goes 1 2 3  2 3 4 etc. all the way up the scale.)

Now do the same on the G row.

Now try to find the obvious places where you can play a C major scale crossing the rows.

The most useful ones to start off with are:

C D E F /change row/G A B C

C D E F G /change row/ A B C

C D E F G A /change row/B/change row/C

Note that there are over 100 ways of playing just 1 octave of the C major scale, but some of them are considerably more useful than others!

Now try to pick out simple tunes that don't use too much of the scale.  I'd say good beginner's tunes include:

Camptown Racetrack

Oh Susannah

When the Saints Go Marching In

After that, it's a case of finding bits of tune that you recognise, constantly trying new things, and trying to get every chance to meet and hear other concertina players, and look on You Tube for inspiration.

Thanks a lot! very good tips.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

Sehr Angenehm! Viele Danke!

7 hours ago, Sebastian said:

If you read german, you might be interested in the Höselbarth-Anweisung (I learned to play by it) and maybe in my Konzertina spielen lernen.

Danke Sebastian! Dieses Buch habe ich nie gesehen (Johann Gottlieb Höselbarth). Die andere Information, die ich kenne. Aber Danke!!! ?

7 hours ago, Sebastian said:

If you read german, you might be interested in the Höselbarth-Anweisung (I learned to play by it) and maybe in my Konzertina spielen lernen.

I just now realize that  you own the page "Konzertina spielen lernen". haha! Sorry!

I've read it and it is very useful. Thank you very much!