A Garden of Dainty Delights by Adrian Brown

gcoover

I’m very excited to announce a brand-new 155-page book by Adrian Brown that features 44 tunes from the 16th to 18th centuries, all arranged in full harmonic style with standard musical notation for the melody, chord symbols, informative and historical notes on the tunes, plus easy tablature for 30-button Anglo concertinas with Jeffries AND Wheatstone/Lachenal accidentals.

Yes, with this book you get two-for-one. Adrian plays a 38-button Jeffries, but since the Wheatstone/Lachenal system is much more common we decided that with a little minor tweaking here and there we could accommodate both. This is perhaps the first book to include music for both Anglo accidental systems.

Regardless of which system you play, you’ll find these tunes vary from moderately difficult to really difficult. Definitely not beginner material!

But the really good news is every tune comes with a scannable QR code that links directly to a very professional YouTube video of Adrian playing the tune from several different angles. The dots on the page are only part of the equation – once you hear Adrian’s musicality you’ll see how much more expression you can add to make some absolutely beautiful music.

And on a purely personal note, I must say it has been an absolute pleasure working with Adrian on this project. In spite being half a world apart (12-hour time differential) and the millions of back and forth emails and trial proofs. And not to forget the frustratingly scrutinous proofreading making sure the arrangements successfully made the transition from Adrian’s 38-button Jeffries to being playable on both 30-button Jeffries and Wheatstone/Lachenal instruments. Totally worthwhile, and a final product I think you all will really enjoy and get a lot out of.

It’s now available online through Amazon worldwide, and I’ll bet we can talk the Button Box and a few other retail outlets into carrying it too.

Attached is the Table of Contents for "A Garden of Dainty Delights". It has a QR code that will link you to the full YouTube playlist, and each song in the notes also includes individual QR codes links to videos of every tune.

Once I figure out how to make more upload room here on cnet (maxed out right now) I'll post an example tune for both systems.

A hearty congratulations to Adrian for creating such a fine book of wonderful tunes and "difficult" delights!

Gary

TOC-GardenOfDaintyDelights.pdf

Edited by gcoover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Gary, the pleasure was entirely mutual and I'm really going to miss our twice daily e-mail exchanges...

Since Gary's run out of space here, I'll attempt to add "Daphne", the sample tune here. It's a deceptive tune, probably one of the more tricky in the book, but a good example of the repertoire. It emerged as a keyboard piece in the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book around 1600, became a popular broadside tune, was a dance tune in Playford's dancing master, took on a new life in the Netherlands with the title "Doen Daphne" and ended up with some demonic divisions written for the recorder by Jacob Van Eyke (1590-1657). I took the accompaniment from an anonymous 17th century virginal manuscript and despite the melody creeping over to the left side on occasion, I think it fits quite nicely on the Anglo.

Daphne-J.pdf

Daphne-W.pdf

Below is a picture of the cover, which as you can see, I had a lot of fun with:-) I hope the book will be a nice addition to Gary's impressive stable of instruction books for the Anglo and that people will enjoy playing these tunes as much as I have.

Cover-GDD.JPG.c0654818b35c06478ad2e8f9ffd9628a.JPG

Adrian

PS. and here's the accompanying video for "Daphne":

Another pretty tune played beautifully.

But I have to ask about the Renaissance bass guitar hanging on the wall - sometimes with it's 16th century cord plugged in, and sometimes with no cord.  Obviously in regular use. 

Adrian's secret life as a heavy metal bass player? 

Or maybe Adrian lives in a world full of temporal anomalies like the racing car (Bentley Le Mans?) on the cover of a book of 'Olden Times Tunes' for Anglo concertina.  Police boxes and sonic scredrivers anyone?

I’ve been wanting something like this. I’d love someone to take on Bach or Vivaldi...

But to my disappointment, I have discovered that amazon in the US or the UK won’t ship this book to Australia. It may be some rights issue and/or how Rollston Press lists with Amazon. It it may be the collection of sales tax for Australia by Amazon. Nor is it with Book Depository. Do you mind checking out what can be done, including  a downloadable copy (it appears that is possible).?  

Thank you. 

Larry, I'll get to the bottom of this sub-equatorial quandary! Nothing to do with rights or Rollston, but everything to do with Amazon. I think they are planning to add Amazon.au soon, but in the meanwhile we'll figure something out. And no, nothing downloadable yet (in spite of all the spam and phishing websites claiming so).

Gary

On 10/12/2018 at 3:43 PM, Don Taylor said:

Another pretty tune played beautifully.

But I have to ask about the Renaissance bass guitar hanging on the wall - sometimes with it's 16th century cord plugged in, and sometimes with no cord.  Obviously in regular use. 

Adrian's secret life as a heavy metal bass player? 

Or maybe Adrian lives in a world full of temporal anomalies like the racing car (Bentley Le Mans?) on the cover of a book of 'Olden Times Tunes' for Anglo concertina.  Police boxes and sonic scredrivers anyone?

Yes, it gets a good rollicking about once a year, but no secret life as a time traveller or heavy metal usage I'm afraid...

Adrian

On 10/15/2018 at 5:57 PM, Mike Hulme said:

My copy arrived this morning.  Ive had a quick skim through it and I am very impressed.  Nicely laid out and easy to read.

Mike

That's good to hear Mike, do let us know how you get on with it - after such a long time working on this all by ourselves, we're very keen to get any sort of feedback :-)

Cheers,

Adrian

Are there any tunes that you'd consider easier than the others? I've started with the Black Nag and making good progress, but wondering what to tackle next.

I like "Buggering Oates", as it were, but it looks much more challenging!

6 hours ago, snoot said:

Are there any tunes that you'd consider easier than the others? I've started with the Black Nag and making good progress, but wondering what to tackle next.

I like "Buggering Oates", as it were, but it looks much more challenging!

Hi Snoot,

I made an attempt at arranging the tunes in order of difficulty, although the methods used were very unscientific and based solely on the number of times “Bugger” was uttered while practising for the videos. But in the book’s running order, All in a Garden Green up to Buffoon Dance I thought were easy. From The Maid Peept to Black and Grey were medium difficulty and from Belle qui tiens ma Vie to the two Joaks, Difficult.

Once you have The Black Nag going smoothly, how about trying Jenny Pluck Pears, or Jamaica? If you want to play Buggering Oates, I’d recommend you start with the left hand - get the arpeggios going smoothly and on auto-pilot and then you can slowly add bits of the melody as you feel more confident.

Hope this helps, otherwise, let me know.

Adrian

Ok, who is up for a wee contest?

And knowing the excruciatingly high level of education of all you cnet members I don't expect it to last long, but the first person who can identify the mysterious object on the far left side of the cover photo (beneath the candle), will win a free copy of Adrian's new book A Garden of Dainty Delights. Red light, yellow light, green light  - gentlemen, start your engines!

Gary

Edited by gcoover

On 10/28/2018 at 2:37 PM, snoot said:

Wooh, that was fast, I should have asked about the musical instrument at the back that resembles a dead goat! Gary is going to send you a prize and here's a video of the Sterling motor in action - all that power from a cup of tea...

Cheers,

Adrian

Edited by adrian brown
  • Like 1