24 key Lachenal?

Edward Jennings

• 1 year later...

Hello again! I've started on this instrument, at last. Very very dirty inside, a few pin holes in the bellows corners and one or two small splits in the troughs. It has 1 minor crack in one end, with about 3/8 of an inch of a piece of fretwork missing. I've considered stripping and re-doing the varnish on the wooden ends, but after polishing up one end with a touch of T-Cut, I think it will be best to retain the original finish.

I'm going to do all the cosmetic and mechanical work first, working up to maybe tackling the tuning. (Or sending it to a local friendly expert, if I can raise some dosh!) 

So, I'll be probably haunting this forum for a while with inane questions to assist my first concertina revival, if you lot don't get sick of me!

Firstly; the instrument would seem to have buttons made of bone, mostly black! I thought to try some toothpaste and a tooth brush, any good, do you think?

Thanks for any advice/help offered.

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody seems to have mentioned the Lachenal trade mark which is usually stamped into the right side hand bar.  All but the earlies Lachenals have the mark.

Reading the article by Stephen Chambers (mentioned in an earlier post) it would seem that the Reed Trade Mark (etc.) didn't appear until after the date which Wallis' address on the label would suggest for the manufacture or sale of the instrument.

Lachenal Trade Mark introduced in 1879, whereas the label address (according to Wes Williams) is prior to 1876, or even possibly 1870.

Edited by Edward Jennings

On 11/7/2019 at 12:27 AM, Edward Jennings said:

I previously mentioned that I'd post any numbers I found on this instrument. So far, all I've found is the same number stamped into the bellows frames on both ends. It is...... 36744. Can anything be gleaned from this, please?

It suggests a Lachenal made in the early/mid 1870s. Dowright is the man to give you a better date, so check through his dates on the large "Dates for Lachenal numbers" threads.