I am looking at anglo hybrid concertinas. Has anyone actually played or owned one of the Phoenix c/g. It is advertised as an intermediate level concertina. It sounds good in their promotional video  and appears to play fast- although it is being played by a champion.The price is very competitive, but there isn't much info around except via Mcneela.

I understand that the model is similar to its predecessor the Mcneela Swallow.

Thanks 

Tiposx

I asked myself the same question about the Phoenix, it does sound pretty good !

But like you said, she is a very good player and can make the Wren sound pretty good too...

My story: I bought the Wren and decide to send it back for a refund. 

They have a good refund policy so you can always order the Phoenix and send it back if you don't like it !

Good luck and in that case, please tell us what you think about the Phoenix 😉 

I decided to go for a vintage 20b, cheaper and usually very good if well restored (better buy from a known seller/shop). But now looking for a 26b.

For a 30b, I understand your choice concerning the Phoenix.

Nicolas

Hi Papawemba

Thank you for that info. Like you I noticed that Caitlin Nic Gabhann made even the beginner instrument sound super.

Good point re buying on trial,  I  will have a think about that for a few days on holiday. Meanwhile I am looking for reviews and other people's experiences of the hybrid models. There seems to be a theme that one has to spend £2k to get a good instrument, but I just don't want to spend that much. My house is full of lovely musical instruments and yet the most expensive one is a "beginner" grade english concertina!

Tiposx

On 10/9/2018 at 8:20 PM, papawemba said:

My story: I bought the Wren and decide to send it back for a refund. 

Hi Nicolas why did you send the Wren back? 

Tiposx

Hello Tiposx, you can find my initial impression of the Wren 2 here https://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?/topic/19805-buying-advice-under-50000/&tab=comments#comment-185246

I was really going for the Phoenix lately but as I couldn't find any more information/reviews, I gave up.

And find out that for the price of a 3 rows (in general), I could buy two vintage 20b lol or a 20b and 26b...    

The third row is very expensive !!

Best !