Sign in to follow this  
rudeboy

Wanted to buy: 40-key anglo concertina

Wanted: 40-key anglo concertina

Seeking offers of playable instruments, as well as advice on whether this is doable given my budget: $2,400, including shipping to the US (Connecticut). Or should I just get a Stagi W-40 with a Button Box or Tedrow set up?

I usually play alone, so relative tuning (i.e., A = 440 hz), loudness, timbre, etc., are not hugely important. That being said, I don’t want anything too high, so the central range should be no higher than a regular C/G. Hybrid reeds, brass reeds OK. I’d prefer one without novelty keys.

I’ve been playing anglo concertina for about five years, the latest an Edgley 30-button with Jeffries layout. I mostly play classical guitar music, as well as folk tunes and latino tunes like milongas, zambas and chacareras, and I'm seeking to expand the range of materials I can (sort of) play.

PM or post here.

Thanks!

Ben (member name ben) up in Canada sometimes has 40-key late Wheatstones close to this price range. You could ask him.

Ken

I can vouch for Ben.  Ben brings instruments from South Africa where the 40 button is very popular.

Plus I think that you would be disappointed in a Stagi after an Edgley.  Worth waiting for the right instrument to show up.

Thanks for the tips about Ben, I've sent him email but haven't heard back yet.

I don't know how long I can wait; my Edgley needs a tune up. Several keys are slow to respond and my right hand index F#/G freezes up in humid weather -- bad summer for that. 

That's when I start looking for Irish tunes in C.

There was an early 50's Wheatstone, 40 key, C/G on Ebay recently with a buy it now price of $900! No one bought it and it was relisted as a regular auction and with a better heading, and it went for a good bit more. But deals are still out there, depending on how long you are willing to wait.  That listing was from an estate sale and the seller was likely trying to move it. 

I saw the first listing, which seemed suspicious because it didn't seem like enough money. For some reason I missed the relisting. 

As for waiting a while, I've been looking for three months.  Not long enough, I guess!