Belle qui tiens ma vie

adrian brown

Very nice, Adrian. I note you're playing it in D rather than the G it's more usually written in. Is that so as to fit in the bass line without modification? Also, is it a straight transposition of all four parts?

I have to admit I've toyed with this in the past. I tend to play these things in whatever key fits most easily. And I often drop to three parts, provided all the harmony is still there.

LJ

1 hour ago, Little John said:

Very nice, Adrian. I note you're playing it in D rather than the G it's more usually written in. Is that so as to fit in the bass line without modification? Also, is it a straight transposition of all four parts?

I have to admit I've toyed with this in the past. I tend to play these things in whatever key fits most easily. And I often drop to three parts, provided all the harmony is still there.

LJ

Thanks LJ. Yes I transposed the music down a 4th because on a standard Anglo, you'd have to play it an octave higher and there, it lacks a bit of the gravitas for a pavan. Granted when I play it on the baritone in the second half of the video, it's perhaps a bit on the low side, but I do like to show off the low range of this wonderful instrument :-) Otherwise it's a straight transposition of all 4 parts, which apart from in a couple of bars, form a simple succession of 4 note chords, so it's really quite an easy piece, at least on the anglo.

Cheers

Adrian

Adrian - I could be wrong but it sounds like it's transposed up a fifth rather than down a fourth. Having just gone to try it out, I remember I transposed it up a tone to A, so as to be able to use the A2 I have as the lowest note on my duets. I just learnt it by ear (after hearing the York Waits, probably) but I ought to take a proper look at the music.

LJ

23 minutes ago, Little John said:

Adrian - I could be wrong but it sounds like it's transposed up a fifth rather than down a fourth. Having just gone to try it out, I remember I transposed it up a tone to A, so as to be able to use the A2 I have as the lowest note on my duets. I just learnt it by ear (after hearing the York Waits, probably) but I ought to take a proper look at the music.

LJ

Yes, that's quite correct LJ, I transposed the music down a 4th but then played it an octave higher on the standard Anglo, so it sounds indeed a fifth higher than the original. In the second half of the video it's played on the Baritone which sounds an octave lower than the standard Anglo and thus will sound a 4th lower than the original. My point is that you cannot play it at original written pitch on a standard anglo and playing it an octave higher is very tinny sounding.

This is the only tune in our book that I've notated in treble and bass clefs to show the movement of the middle lines through the chords and I've opted for writing it an octave lower, as though it were played on a baritone, simply so it fits better on the staves. Anglo players should not be afraid however, since Gary's full button notation is shown above and below the staves :-)

Cheers,

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Chestnut, or no, its one of the pieces I played as a beginning guitarist 50 years ago,  Lovely playing!

When will the text be published, or are you waiting to record all the pieces therein before publication?

Cheers,

Mike

17 hours ago, Mike Hulme said:

Hi Adrian,

Chestnut, or no, its one of the pieces I played as a beginning guitarist 50 years ago,  Lovely playing!

When will the text be published, or are you waiting to record all the pieces therein before publication?

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike,

All the videos have been recorded and I'm uploading them to YouTube every day. Gary and I are just going through the latest proofs to see how many pesky mistakes we can find before releasing the book. It's a bit complicated since we have made in-tabulations for both Jeffries and Wheatstone/Lachenal Anglo layouts; something which is more complicated in practice than one might think... Still we're getting there slowly and I hope there'll be an announcement here from Gary sometime in the next couple of weeks.

In the meantime, here's a handy link to all the videos I've uploaded so far:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC_1kNd0epWuLh-giUdFsAw/videos

Adrian