Documentary on William Kimber

larryjhs

I came across this recent documentary on William Kimber, mostly an interview with his grand-daughter Julie Kimber-Nickerson talking about his music and the people he moved with, and his son Alan sings as well. Kimber’s concertina is also played a bit. It’s a lovely bit of filmmaking about a musical family. Bits of old film and photos as well. 

http://www.folkweekendoxford.co.uk/back-to-the-quarry.html?start=3

Back to the Quarry is an exciting new project exploring the musical history of the Kimber family from Headington Quarry, Oxfordshire - from the great concertina player William Kimber, who has inspired generations of musicians and dancers, to his granddaughter Julie Kimber-Nickelson and her family who still live in the village today. The Kimber family have had a significant impact on the folk and Morris traditions of Oxfordshire, and are still making a contribution to the living and evolving musical traditions of the area.

The BTTQ project aims to share Kimber's story with the local community - and wider afield - by creating an interactive website which gives visitors the chance to explore different parts of the story. We'll also be doing workshops with two local primary schools, where the children will get the chance to explore the heritage materials and find their own way of telling Kimber's story.

Come back to this page for updates from our project blog, or visit us on Facebook or Twitter.” 

Larry

• Like 2

Thanks so much for posting this, Larry! I had the good fortune to see that very concertina and also have a few pints at the Chequers with the Headington Quarry Morris Men a few years back. Also got to visit William Kimber's final resting place complete with carved stone Morris bells and concertina.

Gary

• Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 5:45 PM, gcoover said:

Thanks so much for posting this, Larry! I had the good fortune to see that very concertina and also have a few pints at the Chequers with the Headington Quarry Morris Men a few years back. Also got to visit William Kimber's final resting place complete with carved stone Morris bells and concertina.

Gary

Thanks. 

Excuse me for taking so long Gary. I really enjoy your books -- that is what I basically learn from as my ability to read music has totally declined and will have to wait until I have more free time. .  I *think* in my amateur way I may have picked up a few errors in your keying -- do you want them?