20-Year Anniversary of Concertina.net

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations for all people that made and make possible this web!.

I don't know why...but at some extend all you make me feel here as into a second house...☺️

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've been around since close to the beginning and although not contributing much in recent times (sorry about that) I still lurk a bit. Congratulations for creating one of the major concertina resources on the net.

I have just one regret. I would love to see the old forum again in a strictly read-only form and read some of those old posts. I had a stroke 15 or so years ago and wrote a lot in the forum about its impact on me and my recovery. I would dearly love to read some of those old posts again. Hey ho.

Chris

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chris Timson said:

I have just one regret. I would love to see the old forum again in a strictly read-only form and read some of those old posts.

Chris

I think that all of the old posts (but not the articles) are still there, but they are a lot harder to find on the new version of the software which seems to encourage a much more ephemeral view of the posts.

I have found that using Google is effective at finding old stuff, use a site specific search like this:

site:concertina.net Chris Timson stroke

Don.

8 hours ago, Chris Timson said:

I think I've been around since close to the beginning and although not contributing much in recent times (sorry about that) I still lurk a bit. Congratulations for creating one of the major concertina resources on the net.

I have just one regret. I would love to see the old forum again in a strictly read-only form and read some of those old posts. I had a stroke 15 or so years ago and wrote a lot in the forum about its impact on me and my recovery. I would dearly love to read some of those old posts again. Hey ho.

Chris

well Chris, as I'm sure you know, the internet doesn't forget anything (blessing&curse). You can browse your old content to your heart's delight in the way back machine, e.g. here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050208001320/http://www.concertina.net:80/forums/index.php?showforum=10

Just pick an archived point at the time beam on top to get closer to the snapshot time you're interested in.

Edited by RAc

21 hours ago, RAc said:

well Chris, as I'm sure you know, the internet doesn't forget anything (blessing&curse). You can browse your old content to your heart's delight in the way back machine, e.g. here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050208001320/http://www.concertina.net:80/forums/index.php?showforum=10

Just pick an archived point at the time beam on top to get closer to the snapshot time you're interested in.

Actually, that link takes you to an early version of the modern forums, but I think what Chris is looking for even predates that, when the forums looked like this.

2 hours ago, David Barnert said:

Actually, that link takes you to an early version of the modern forums, but I think what Chris is looking for even predates that, when the forums looked like this.

Hmm, the Wayback machine only seems to have the list of topics, when I click through to read the messages it says they weren't archived.

2 hours ago, David Barnert said:

well, Chris wrote "15 or so years ago" (which would be around 2003 if my math doesn't fail me), so I selected at point of time a tad after that...

interestingly enough, this "new forum" appears to have been archived in full (at least the few samples I clicked on were fully readable) whereas the "early version" didn't archive the contents as Alex pointed out.

On 10/13/2018 at 11:08 AM, Chris Timson said:

Fair comment, I'll give it a whirl. And there are aspects of the old posts which are probably buried in the past, like all those endless arguments with Göran ...

Chris

an odd thing as we're still able to read these arguments but with his side excluded following the ban... :)

if you browse the forum there are several threads being fragmentary (it's with Göran, it's with Dick, maybe more) as I seem to recall - and I don't mind it that much, regarding it as straight technical consequence of having an account deleted

no need to discuss that at the moment as for me - I just mentioned it as a matter of fact to the best of my knowledge