George Jones 26 button

I have recently acquired a G Jones 26 button concertina in C/G. I guess it's pretty old but has been renovated.

I understand the Jones is not the most efficient in air management but one note will play only when I squeeze hard, ie it won't play gently.

I don't wish to cause damage by trying to fix it myself but what is the likely cause and how easy is it to fix?

i hear the Jones make have broad reeds and shorter in scale, hence the air problem. stiffer reeds take more air to sound. i have a 20b and it is a little harder to play, but not that bad and has a great unique old sound. your problem is most likely the set of the reed, being to high. it also could be a gap too wide or the valve, but i would check the set first. 

Thanks for your comments. It is a lovely sounding instrument and will sound better when I get some practice.

is the adjustments within the abilities of an amateur. I would hate to ruin an instrument with a bit of clumsiness.

• 3 weeks later...

My preferred instruments are by Jones -- I have several concertinas from the house of Jones. They vary in responsiveness and it's difficult to generalise about, let's say, Jones reeds in contrast to reeds in Lachenals or Crabbs or Jeffries.  My 26-button G/D Jones is one of the best concertinas I've ever played-- fast, strong, loud, even tone from bottom notes to the top -- it's a joy to play. I also have a 44b Jeffries --a really fine B♭/F, and a very good 36b Lachenal. So, my point is that over the course of years of manufacturing, who knows how many reed makers, reed tuners, parts suppliers might contribute to the instruments of any given maker. Generalisation based on a limited sample, from particular instances is a fraught activity. Manbe all your Jones needs is a visit to a good repair person.

Jake. Thanks for offer. As a coincidence my acquaintance Dave Jolly was at the folk club a couple of weeks ago on one of his rare visits from France and he did some adjustments.

I see CrP likes the Jones and I must say I like the tone. However, not experienced and keep running out of air and I need to get some guidance on left hand chords to make the music more interesting. I have a twenty button Scarlatti which I bought in Hob Goblin in Newport Pagnell before they closed. I don't play  it much. I was hoping the Jones would be better for the folk club 

Jake, I'm not far from Wolverton and would welcome a tutorial if that's possible 

Edited by Conrad23

Hmm I cant offer tutorials at the moment though I can recommend the Chiltinas http://www.chiltinas.org.uk/links.html who are a group with mainly english players but some anglo players as well, you might find some help there. Alternatively my mate Phil who lives nearby used to do lessons, I will ask if he is still doing that.

I had a look at the chiltinas link. A bit far south for me.

i have tried the Irish on line link a year or two back. I thought it was good value for money but I wasn't practicing enough to justify continuing.

i think I need a few one to one tutorials just to get some tips. When I see others playing on YouTube etc, there's no way I would think I could play with their speed and dexterity.

simple soul, simple music.