lxnx

Effects of retuning concertina pitch?

I'm curious - are there any long term negative effects from retuning the entire pitch of a concertina?

Assuming it's professionally done, would e.g. retuning a Bb/F to a C/G have some negative impact on the tone or longevity of the reeds?

Would a concertina that's been significantly returned be worth less than one that was originally tuned to that pitch?

I once heard that many vintage Ab/Eb concertinas were tuned down to G/D (I own one).  I, too, am curious if it had negative effect, including retuning from old pitch to modern pitch.

On 9/5/2018 at 2:55 PM, Takayuki YAGI said:

I once heard that many vintage Ab/Eb concertinas were tuned down to G/D (I own one).  I, too, am curious if it had negative effect, including retuning from old pitch to modern pitch.

Takayuki,

I think the general consensus in threads I've read from the past is that it's easier and less risky to go down in pitch, rather than up. That said, I think you'd need some expert advice from a restorer before getting the files out... I suppose that a lot depends on how much tuning work has been done in the past and how much tongue metal is left!

Adrian

43 minutes ago, adrian brown said:

I think the general consensus in threads I've read from the past is that it's easier and less risky to go down in pitch, rather than up. That said, I think you'd need some expert advice from a restorer before getting the files out... I suppose that a lot depends on how much tuning work has been done in the past and how much tongue metal is left!

Also, if you are lowering the pitch then it is preferable to add solder weighting to the low reeds rather than filing the belly, otherwise they can end up very weak and unstable. If you are raising the pitch then you should be prepared for the possibility of remaking some of the highest reeds because there is a limit to how thin you can file the tip before it gets very unstable or even disintegrates.

• Like 2