MIDIHayden - MIDI Controller version of the Hayden app for iPad

Hi y'all,

As is my practice, I've released "MIDIHayden",  a standalone MIDI controller version of my 53-button Hayden Concertina app for iPad.

https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/app/midihayden-control-surface/id375667582?ls=1&mt=8

If you already had purchased the iPad "iJammer" MIDI controller app, which was discontinued about 3 years ago, you will get this app for free.

Enjoy!

Michael

Description from the iTunes App Store:

MIDIHayden is a 53-button Hayden Concertina CoreMIDI control surface for the iPad.

MIDIHayden doesn't produce any sound on its own, it is for playing hardware or software VST-style MIDI synthesizers via CoreMIDI hardware interfaces connected to the dock connector or virtual MIDI instruments running on your device such as my "Celtic Sounds" MIDI sound module app.

The layout is based on the full 53-button R. Morse Beaumont with the addition of an extra D# on the LHS. This makes it possible to play all of the commonly available Hayden concertina variations on the app.

IMPORTANT: Since you may want to play chord with four or more fingers on the screen at the same time, before playing, disable "Multitasking Gestures" on your iPad (in the Settings app, under the General section, turn the Multitasking Gestures switch to the off position).

To play, simply touch the buttons. Buttons light up when playing.

Multiple buttons may be touched at the same time to play chords.

You may slide between the buttons.

Touch the '?' icon to show the note names for each button.

Touch the MIDI connector icon to show the MIDI controls.

You may select the volume, MIDI channel, attack velocity, and semitone transposition (+/- 12).

Use the "MIDI Port" switch to choose between "Omni" sending MIDI data to all CoreMIDI apps or "Virtual Port" sending to a named CoreMIDI virtual output port. When the "Virtual Port option is selected, MIDIHayden will show up as an input option in apps that support virtual ports like Sonosaurus ThumbJam. "Omni" mode is selected by default.

All MIDI settings are saved when MIDIHayden quits and restored the next time it is run.

Touch the '!' icon at the upper left to quiet any "stuck" notes if they occur.

Thank you to Don Taylor for the graphics!

Icon image based on a beautiful R. Morse Beaumont Hayden Concertina

1.jpg

Edited by eskin

Using this app, for example, you can run the Roland Sound Canvas or other iOS CoreMIDI-compliant synth apps on the iPad, and then play them using your Hayden concertina skills rather than a keyboard, all on the same iPad.   MIDITinaXL is the equivalent app for English Concertina, MIDIAngloXL for Anglo.

Edited by eskin

Anyone with an iPad who plays Hayden layout concertina interested in doing a demo video of my new Hayden-based MIDI controller for the iPad?

In exchange I will give you a free copy of the app and gift you a copy of the Roland Sound Canvas iOS app. I don't play the the Hayden system and any demo I try to do will be pretty simplistic.

You need to have a relatively recent iPad running iOS 10.0 or later.

I've got a recent iPad and would be interested to try to record something but first I have to find how to handle the iPad so that it's easy to play. If somebody use to play with this app on the iPad it could be helpful to see a picture. Thanks,

Didie

Didie

You can hold your iPad in (at least) two ways.  You can have it flat on your lap while sitting and play it like a keyboard, or you can hold it aganst your chest, again while sitting, and orient your hands a bit more like a physical concertina.  You need to lock the orientation of your iPad before bring it up to the vertical position otherwise it flips to be upside down. 

I have a rubber bumper edge protector on my iPad and I think that this helps while playing my iPad in a vertical orientation.

It is possible to use your normal fingering with either approach, but that seems more natural with the vertical orientation.  I try to keep to the same fingering that I would use on my concertina. 

The button spacing in the app on a 9.7" iPad is the same as on a Hayden concertina, on other sized iPads it will be a little bigger or smaller.

I have only had use of the app for a few otherwise busy days so I am hoping for improvement in my facility with it, but my experience so far is that I need to be able to see the keyboard otherwise I hit a lot of wrong (adjacent) buttons. 

I angle the iPad about 30 degrees off vertical so that I can see the buttons. I am more accurate in hitting the correct buttons if I use the ends of my fingers instead of the pads of my fingers when touching an iPad button. I do have big fat fingers.

I find the right hand fingering much easier to achieve than the left hand, and playing any sort of chord on the left hand requires me to think hard about what I am doing.  Right now, I cannot play at speed on the iPad as I finish up hitting too many wrong notes.

I am finding it very useful for working out new tunes and in getting some practice done when I can't use my concertina.  Funny thing is that I thought that having the button labels showing would be helpful, but I generally prefer to hide them away as they seem to be a bit of a distraction.  I think they might be useful when transcribing a tune.

I am happy to report that work done on the iPad translates directly to a real concertina.  For me, I think it is going to be a practice device.

I think that it would also be a good way for anyone who is curious about a Hayden to try it out without spending a lot of money - if you have access to an iPad.

If you use the midi version of the app then you can use different instrument sounds and, depending upon the midi platform apps  (I use Thumbjam) you can also bend notes, and/or use tremelo and vibrato.  I have not used the facility yet, but Thumbjam also has the capability of capturing and playing a loop track for you to play against.  I expect that other midi platform apps have similar capabilities.

I will try to post some pictures this evening.

Don.

Edited by Don Taylor

Regarding the hitting wrong buttons, an enthusiastic fan of my Chromatic Accordion MIDI controller app made an clear overlay for his iPad with holes cut out for the buttons. He's able to play quite reliably without constantly looking at the iPad this way, it's pretty amazing.

Edited by eskin

On 9/1/2018 at 11:52 AM, eskin said:

Regarding the hitting wrong buttons, an enthusiastic fan of my Chromatic Accordion MIDI controller app made an clear overlay for his iPad with holes cut out for the buttons. He's able to play quite reliably without constantly looking at the iPad this way, it's pretty amazing.

I have considered making an overlay for my iPhone screen out of plastic food wrap (Saran Wrap, here in the USA) with dots of glue where the images of the buttons are. Haven’t gotten around to actually trying it yet.

10 hours ago, David Barnert said:

I have considered making an overlay for my iPhone screen out of plastic food wrap (Saran Wrap, here in the USA) with dots of glue where the images of the buttons are. Haven’t gotten around to actually trying it yet.

I'm not very optimistic about your chances. I expect the resistivity of the glue dots at least (if not the Saran wrap!) to interfere with the capacitive touchscreen operation. Do let us know if it ends up working-- that will be interesting news!