7mount Concertina

instead of reviving an old thread (which OP will certainly read through) I might add here that I once heard Ralf playing quite a couple of (Irish) tunes on one of his instruments (probably a C/G then), and  I was much impressed with the outcome

best wishes -  ?

Ah, i read your question, then i couldn't find it when i wanted to respond, that's why i commented in the thread pointed to above.
But let me tell you again, the sevenmount concertinas are awesome! I own one for 1 1/2 years now and have tried a few of them before, they are a joy to play.

Cheers, Doro

Thanks.  I have been trying to advise a young player looking to upgrade and these looked very good to me.  Before I realized I was at the top of Colin Dipper's list I put my name in for a 7mount. But when that particular ship came in I couldn't justify the expense of two concertinas.  I wish I could see a few or even one here in the Midwest US.  There are so many factors that go into the play of a concertina.  I recently had a chance to try an instrument from a highly regarded maker I had been interested in and found I didn't like the feel of it, though I liked the sound. But I think the feel thing is something a player can get used to as the hands and the instrument get to know each other.  

Thanks particularly for the comment from Doro, a player of a 7mount.  Anyone else out there with personal in hand experience?  And Doro, If you see this, can you share if this was your first concertina or an upgrade from another one? 

9 hours ago, Doro said:

Ah, i read your question, then i couldn't find it when i wanted to respond, that's why i commented in the thread pointed to above.
But let me tell you again, the sevenmount concertinas are awesome! I own one for 1 1/2 years now and have tried a few of them before, they are a joy to play.

Cheers, Doro

The first concertina, the one i started playing on, was a Marcus Music Concertina, borrowed from a friend. I then bought my first one, an old Wheatstone with wooden ends, which i still like very much. It has a beatiful sound, very warm. I played it for 6 years. Then Ralf Schlimm started building his Sevenmounts and since he does live near to where i live and we're good friends, i followed his work and played quite some Concertinas from him and it was obvious that they were (he was) improving fast. A year later I then told him, that when the right one came along i'd say yes and so it was. I can totally relate to the "feeling" thing you described. I had a good feel with all of his, from the very start, and i kind of "linked" with the one i now can call my own. The thing is, it's sound and feel together. And then there's good action, as a very big part of feel. And i was missing this one a little on my Wheatstone. It was very hard to play at higher speed on sessions. The Sevenmount does it pretty much on it's own, i think. (No, i don't get payed saying so! ? )
Hope that helps,

Doro

Edited by Doro
added sth. (he was)

19 hours ago, Doro said:

The first concertina, the one i started playing on, was a Marcus Music Concertina, borrowed from a friend. I then bought my first one, an old Wheatstone with wooden ends, which i still like very much. It has a beatiful sound, very warm. I played it for 6 years. Then Ralf Schlimm started building his Sevenmounts and since he does live near to where i live and we're good friends, i followed his work and played quite some Concertinas from him and it was obvious that they were (he was) improving fast. A year later I then told him, that when the right one came along i'd say yes and so it was. I can totally relate to the "feeling" thing you described. I had a good feel with all of his, from the very start, and i kind of "linked" with the one i now can call my own. The thing is, it's sound and feel together. And then there's good action, as a very big part of feel. And i was missing this one a little on my Wheatstone. It was very hard to play at higher speed on sessions. The Sevenmount does it pretty much on it's own, i think. (No, i don't get payed saying so! ? )
Hope that helps,

Doro

Thanks!

I have been playing my 7mount G/D which I collected from Ralf nearly 2 years ago. Lovely looking instrument which plays really well  and has been admired by several of my musician friends at sessions that I go to. Would not hesitate to go back to them if I needed a new concertina as the service I received was excellent.

David W