New Hayden Duet Concertina for iPad/iPhone

Hi y'all,

I've renamed the original "Duettina" iOS app to "Hayden Duet System Concertina" and updated it to now natively support both the iPhone and iPad in one app.

The new iPad version is based on the full R. Morse Beaumont model with the addition of an extra D# on the LHS. This makes it possible to play all of the commonly available Hayden concertina variations on the app.

Thank you to Don Taylor for the gorgeous new iPad version graphics which made this major update possible.

Update is free to all current owners, $2.99 for new purchase.

iTunes App Store Link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hayden-duet-system-concertina/id363450305?ls=1&mt=8

IMPORTANT: On the iPad version, since you may want to play chords with four or more fingers on the screen at the same time, before playing, disable "Multitasking Gestures" on your iPad (in the Settings app, under the General section, turn the Multitasking Gestures switch to the off position).

Cheers and thanks,

Michael

skin_info_ipad.jpg

skin_ipad.jpg

skin5.jpg

skin5_info.jpg

skin5_info_inv.jpg

Edited by eskin

Hi there Michael,

I am following your work with great interest. I'd be willing to put down real money for an app like that that would allow me to freely configure the fingerboard myself. Is that something you might be willing to consider?

Thanks!

Probably not. ?. This is something I do as a hobby business on weekends when I have a few free hours to work on new apps and updates as required. As a result, I need to keep things fairly simple and constrained. 

Maybe when I’m retired from my real job in a few years I can work on more complex configurable apps.

Edited by eskin

Is it possible to have a record button?  I do alot of hiking and will pull out my

iPhone while on the trails and fiddle with melodic ideas.   Occasionally,

I come up with something I really like, but by the time I get home, it is gone.

It would be great to have a record botton for this.  For me,  you wonderful

app is serving me well in this capacity. 

PS  when I got my first iPhone a few weeks ago (given to me by my son),

your app was my FIRST download !!

10 hours ago, rlgph said:

Is it still possible to mirror the left side?

Michael's iJammer app already has the mirrored LHS. 

It does not have the standard Hayden arrangement for the LHS which is what prompted me to nag him about updating his duettina app.  He agreed as long as I provided the artwork - which was harder that I expected it to be.  I am not up to doing the artwork for a mirrored version of the new Beaumont-based app as that would require major re-working of the images.

6 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

Michael's iJammer app already has the mirrored LHS. 

It does not have the standard Hayden arrangement for the LHS which is what prompted me to nag him about updating his duettina app.  He agreed as long as I provided the artwork - which was harder that I expected it to be.  I am not up to doing the artwork for a mirrored version of the new Beaumont-based app as that would require major re-working of the images.

iJammer is currently not available, it was taken down over a year ago due to lack of interest and would need to be rewritten for iOS 11.

I’m not going to be doing a mirror image iPad app for exactly the reason Don mentioned.

It’s only because of Don Taylor’s extremely generous offer to provide me with the artwork I would need, because he really wanted a full 53-button instrument on his iPad, that I even considered this update for the iPad.  Made it possible to deliver it in a few days leveraging much of my EnglitinaXL codebase, modified to the new layout. 

The apps are are what they are. I add features and make bug fixes and improvements as I have time and energy to do so, but as I’ve said this is a weekend hobby business, not my full time job so I have to keep things fairly simple and constrained.   

I believe there are other Hayden-inspired apps on the App Store from other developers that have experimental or alternative layouts. I suggest those who find my apps don’t meet their requirements check them out.  I’m primarily interested in replicating actual acoustic instruments layouts, not providing experimental test beds, I’ll gladly leave that to others with more time and resources.

Thank you to everyone who has purchased this and my other apps!

Edited by eskin
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, eskin said:

iJammer is currently not available, it was taken down over a year ago due to lack of interest and would need to be rewritten for iOS 11.

Oops, sorry about that. I guess that I downloaded my copy a while ago.

BTW.  Noel, I believe that iOS 11 devices can record audio 'on the fly', see this.  I cannot verify this myself as my iPad cannot be updated to iOS 11. If your son gave you his old iPhone then you may also be stuck on iOS 10.

It used to be that parents would give an old car to a child, now they give us their old electronic devices!

49 minutes ago, David Barnert said:

Besides the name change, is there any difference in the experience of using it on an iPhone?

Assuming "it" is the Hayden app, they are very different on iPhone vs. iPad as shown on the screenshots at the top of this thread.  Both have the same samples and sound the same.

When running on the iPhone the app is a limited subset of the instrument buttons with a mirrored option.  They are still the original iPhone "Duettina" layouts, been around for many years.

When running on an iPad, I detect the device and instead you get a full 53-button instrument based on the full R. Morse Beaumont.  You can't fit a usable 53-button instrument on an iPhone, even the plus sized models. ?

Before you ask, no, you can't run the iPhone version on the iPad.  

Previously, you could run the iPhone version on the iPad and it worked, but the iPhone layout is suboptimal for iPad, and the new iPad version is much better ergonomically.

I know some people will write me nastygrams about that, because they always do.   If you want to use the iPhone version, well then get a used iPhone that can run iOS 10.0 or later or don't update the app when given the opportunity.

Michael

Edited by eskin

4 minutes ago, eskin said:

What is the "it" you are referring to?

Assuming it's the Hayden app...

What else might I have been referring to?

5 minutes ago, eskin said:

When running on the iPhone the app is a limited subset with a mirrored option.  They are still the original iPhone "Duettina" layouts, been around for many years.

I think that answers my question. On an iPhone, nothing in the user experience has changed. Right?

Thanks, again, for all the work you've put into this.