ritonmousquetaire

Did Brian Hayden ever record anything on his duet?

Though there are several makers selling new Hayden duet concertinas, there are very few players who seem to post some recordings of their playing online - I only know of a few. It's a bit frustrating to have such a limited range of examples of what can be done with the instrument. That let me wondering : what about the instrument's creator? He's obviously the most experienced player of the instrument he designed; in one of his interviews he mentions playing 3 or 4 parts pieces; I think he's also one of the very few to have been able to play a >60 keys version of his system. Recordings of his must be very interesting to listen at!

So, does anybody know of such records? And, if they exist, is there any way for us to listen to them?

You could ask him. He's a member here, wth the username 'inventor'.

2 hours ago, John Adey said:

You could ask him. He's a member here, wth the username 'inventor'.

I'm sure he'll respond anyway...

Simple answer is "no". I am not very good at electronic things. 

However I have seen many people sitting in front of me with recorders at WCCP concertina weekends, so there must be many recordings of my live performances somewhere. One particular recording that I remember from a time when I was at my best on on my 68 button instrument, was a 4 part harmony of the first part of Handel's "Overture to the Royal Fireworks". 

Inventor.

Posted (edited)

Brian, I have searched and searched over the years but have come up with no hits. 

I will keep trying.  For those of us who play the Hayden system, to have some links

would be a treasure!  It would also give us a  point on connectedness to the one

who brought this system into use.  Any chance that you know of someone

who could do this for you ??   Please ?!?!

Edited by Noel Ways

5 hours ago, inventor said:

Simple answer is "no". I am not very good at electronic things. 

However I have seen many people sitting in front of me with recorders at WCCP concertina weekends, so there must be many recordings of my live performances somewhere. One particular recording that I remember from a time when I was at my best on on my 68 button instrument, was a 4 part harmony of the first part of Handel's "Overture to the Royal Fireworks". 

Inventor.

Thanks a lot for the answer! Too bad you're not good at electronic things lol. Maybe some members here are among those who recorded some of your past performances?

May I also ask you if you did publish some of the arrangements you used in these performances? That way, even if we don't have a record to listen at, we could get an idea of what and how you played!

Here is the man himself, all of 5 seconds of him playing, at 9.09 in a video of Bracknell folk festival from 1988:

4 hours ago, John Adey said:

Here is the man himself, all of 5 seconds of him playing, at 9.09 in a video of Bracknell folk festival from 1988:

nice video - will watch it in its entirety later on - but re Brian Hayden, he‘s (you‘re) playing a double-reeded instrument (rather sounding like a Carlsfelder to me), isn‘t he (aren‘t you)?

best wishes - 🐺

Yes this is a double reeded instrument (octaves), accordion reeds.

This instrument is discussed elsewhere on concertina.net.  I had a batch of them made by Bastari in Italy.

Inventor.