Did Brian Hayden ever record anything on his duet?

On 9/1/2018 at 12:31 PM, inventor said:

Made by Robin Scard.

7 hours ago, soloduetconcertina said:

Thank you David and Inventor. I think that it's important to collect all this information and if possible the place where all this different instruments are now.

Didie

I just googled Robin Scard and found a link to this, on the Concertina Library site, which I had read many years ago. Didie, you might be interested in what it has to say.

A Chat with Brian Hayden
© April 2001, Wes Williams
Updated January 2003

On 8/31/2018 at 11:06 AM, Chris Timson said:

No idea about the highest note. It'll be in the mid 90s that I took that photo. It was a special order from someone who wanted a 10 sided Hayden and Colin fancied a challenge. An awful lot of their output is specials, like this one or my baritone anglo.

Chris

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that the Dippers had produced many specials - I thought they were focusing on the more standard concertinas.

inventor > As you did order some square-shaped concertinas, did you ever try to get a producer of chemnitzer concertinas to build instruments using your layout? It could be fun to have a Hayden-chemnitzer, with the kind of sound and register switches some producers did...

5 hours ago, ritonmousquetaire said:

inventor > As you did order some square-shaped concertinas, did you ever try to get a producer of chemnitzer concertinas to build instruments using your layout?

That’s essentially what Kaspar Wicky did 100 years earlier.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8x1l6zedoo9ztd5/P1030460.JPG?dl=0

Harry Geuns recently (probably about a year ago) offered to make a batch of Hayden Squares. He also makes Chemnitzers. He needed about ten people to sign up to buy one. About five or six showed an interest, but not enough. It will be on this web site somewhere if you wanted to follow it up.

It took me 20 years to sell the first batch of Bastari Squares. I would be 100 by then. My mother made it to 95, but I doubt it if I make it that far ! 

Edited by inventor
spelling mistake Geuns

14 hours ago, David Barnert said:

That’s essentially what Kaspar Wicky did 100 years earlier.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8x1l6zedoo9ztd5/P1030460.JPG?dl=0

Right! But do these instrument still exist? I'd be curious to know how they sounded; were they multiple-reeded or not?

13 minutes ago, inventor said:

Harry Gecuns recently (probably about a year ago) offered to make a batch of Hayden Squares. He also makes Chemnitzers. He needed about ten people to sign up to buy one. About five or six showed an interest, but not enough. It will be on this web site somewhere if you wanted to follow it up.

It took me 20 years to sell the first batch of Bastari Squares. I would be 100 by then. My mother made it to 95, but I doubt it if I make it that far ! 

I didn't know that; too bad there weren't enough people interested. I tried to find the info on his website, but apparently google can't find anything on his website using "Hayden" as a keyword. I'll try to see if I can find anything using archive.org...