Did Brian Hayden ever record anything on his duet?

6 hours ago, Paul_Hardy said:

I have online a recording of Brian from Kilve in 2007 at http://www.pghardy.net/concertina/kilve/kilve200710/ but it's not a good recording, and its not Brian at his best.

I remember Brian performing some spectacular Handel at the Wheatstone Bicentenary concert in 2002, but I think I only have a photo, not a recording, although I did record the hour-long talk and discussion on Wheatstone by Stephen Rowling and others.

brian_hayden.jpg

Thanks a lot for posting this! So now we have a complete piece to listen at... Do you remember if he was playing the instrument we can see on this 2002 picture or if he was playing another one?

Edited by ritonmousquetaire

23 minutes ago, ritonmousquetaire said:

Do you remember if he was playing the instrument we can see on this 2002 picture or if he was playing another one?

I’m not sure what the instrument in the picture is, but two things I can say after hearing the sound file are that the instrument he is playing there is not the Bastari instrument he plays in the video seen earlier (can’t hear the octaves built into that instrument, and it sounds like real concertina reeds) and it is an instrument with more than the standard 46 buttons (I hear a low G, an octave and a half below middle C, where my 46 only goes down to the C below middle C.

I am playing the concertina pictured. The reeds are real concertina reeds, lowest is an F a tone below the G mentioned. Tune is Speaking Waltz, which I learned from a Peter Kennedy recording of the Donegal fiddler John Docherty. Sorry about the bad ending.

Inventor.

If I recall correctly it's a 10 sided duet made by the Dippers.

haydp.jpg

Edit - although maybe not, since the one Brian is playing seems to have white buttons. Anyway the one above I encountered at a West Country Concertinas event so Brian must have played it at some time ...

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson
  • Like 1

The instrument is similar to the one shown. but with a few more buttons. These buttons are black and white like the keys on a piano, so that I could easily show people how the system worked.

Inventor.

When I first got my Beaumont I felt that having the accidentals in black and the rest in white would have helped as I kept getting lost, sometimes playing in F on the LHS while playing in G on the RHS!  A couple of months later and I seem to have got over that (mostly) but I still think it is a good idea.

I asked the Button Box to sell me some white buttons but they do not make them.

The black and white are not for my benefit, as  I had previously played instruments with all the same colored buttons. They were  to clearly show how the key of C sat on the instrument. Then to demonstrate that by moving to the right you added sharps (and lost the farthest leftmost white buttons), or by moving to the left you added flats (and lost the farthest rightmost white buttons).

Inventor.   

Edited by inventor

11 hours ago, Chris Timson said:

If I recall correctly it's a 10 sided duet made by the Dippers.

haydp.jpg

Edit - although maybe not, since the one Brian is playing seems to have white buttons. Anyway the one above I encountered at a West Country Concertinas event so Brian must have played it at some time ...

Chris

That's a beauty! Looks like it has quite a lot of button too. I didn't know that the Dippers had built some Hayden duets in the past, do you know why they didn't include that model in their "standard" production?

17 hours ago, inventor said:

I am playing the concertina pictured. The reeds are real concertina reeds, lowest is an F a tone below the G mentioned. Tune is Speaking Waltz, which I learned from a Peter Kennedy recording of the Donegal fiddler John Docherty. Sorry about the bad ending.

Inventor.

Thanks for the information! What's the highest note of this instrument?

Edited by ritonmousquetaire
incomplete message

No idea about the highest note. It'll be in the mid 90s that I took that photo. It was a special order from someone who wanted a 10 sided Hayden and Colin fancied a challenge. An awful lot of their output is specials, like this one or my baritone anglo.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

My instrument goes up to an A (same as the top note of a full sized  piano-accordion, 3 semitones below to top note of a 48 button standard treble English concertina). The amber bellows metal button concertina goes up to the G a tone below mine, and only down to a G (the same as the bottom note of a baritone English concertina).

Inventor. 

I doubt there is such a list, unless we compile it here. I can try to get it started.

When I started playing in the mid-late 1980s, I was aware of three sources of Hayden concertinas. Bastari was making them with accordion reeds in either the hexagonal 46-key format or the square 67-key format mentioned earlier in this thread. Steve Dickinson (Wheatstone) and Colin & Rosalie Dipper were making high-end ones with real reeds and traditional English manufacturing techniques. A few folks (Brian, Dana Johnson) made one-off examples out of other types of concertinas. As far as I know, that's all that there were in, say, 1987.

Made by Robin Scard.

1 offs by H Crabb & sons (the very first), Nicoli of Moscow, Marcus of Wales, Connor, and recently a small one by Alex Holden; I hope he will make more. There were also conversions made by Neville Crabb, and Dana Johnson. I attempted a conversion, years ago when I very first had the idea, but didn't end up with a playable instrument. I Have written about this instrument several times.

Inventor.

Edited by inventor
remembered Connor was the name that I forgot

Unfortunately there are security issues surrounding the whereabouts of valuable instruments. No matter how much you might insure an instrument for, you may still end up at the bottom of a seven plus year  waiting list for a replacement.

Inventor. 

Edited by inventor
noticed an accidental extra word - now removed