Used, excellent condition Minstrel available

lukmanohnz

I will be bringing my Minstrel to Smythe's Accordion Shop in Oakland (http://www.smythesaccordioncenter.com) this afternoon to upgrade for a Clover. The Minstrel served me perfectly as a starter and is of much higher quality than a Rochelle (but also ~$1000 more costly when purchased new). It is in very close to the same condition as it was when I purchased it new in March of this year. I will have no financial interest in this instrument once the trade-in is completed at Smythe's so contact them if you are interested. Photos of this instrument are posted here: 

Michael, 

I'm so happy you got the Clover! I hope you're enjoying it as much as you hoped. I've watched the Noel documentary a few times and each time I am moved by this man, even more. After hours and hours of the voices in my head arguing their different perspectives, we have come to a group consensus, today I put a deposit on a Suttner A1. Jurgen quoted one year wait and that's much better than the other's I considered. Hopefully I'll have it for next years NHCWS. Talk to you soon

Best, 

Patrick

I’ll post a pic shortly. It look exactly like the Clover photo at CC. Patrick - great news on the Suttner! What will you do with your Morse when the Suttner arrives? If I stick with this, I can tell that I’ll outgrow this Clover eventually. Not sure what my next step will be. And Mike it was great to meet you at Noel’s workshop last week. Keep practicing with that lovely Edgley of yours!

• 2 weeks later...

Michael, 

Congratulations on your upgrade to a Clover. 
I have got my Minstrel about two months later than you did, and my  Minstrel still keeps me satisfied and entertained.
It would be nice if you could share your initial sense of "change" between the two instruments.

Cheers!

Gen

6 hours ago, gtotani said:

Michael, 

Congratulations on your upgrade to a Clover. 
I have got my Minstrel about two months later than you did, and my  Minstrel still keeps me satisfied and entertained.
It would be nice if you could share your initial sense of "change" between the two instruments.

Cheers!

Gen

Hi Gen,

1) The Clover has more refined bellows than the Minstrel. My Minstrel's bellows (and I bought mine new) were fairly stiff and were still 'breaking in' by the time I upgraded to the Clover. The Clover's bellows - even brand new - open and close with less effort than my partially broken in Minstrel's. And just looking at the construction of them it is evident that the Clover's bellows are better made.

2) The metal-capped buttons on the Clover are more comfortable on my fingers than the delrin buttons on the Minstrel. Also, the buttons on the Clover have felted sleeves on both the outer and inner plates of the instrument, so the action of the buttons is better than the Minstrel's - the overall mechanism of the buttons and valves seems to me a noticeable step up in the Clover.

3) Sound-wise, I think they are quite similar since both have accordion reeds. Both instruments seemed to improve their responsiveness with the first week or two of playing. In that respect I hope my new-ish Clover will keep opening up with continued practice and play.

The overall difference between Minstrel and Clover isn't dramatic but it's noticeable. I expect that I will upgrade again someday - perhaps to a Wakker. I would need to play one first. I would hope that my next upgrade will be my last.

I hope that helps!

Michael

• Like 1

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your clear and informative explanation. (and sorry for going off-topic from the original post) 

Regarding the bellows, when I placed an order, Wim strongly recommended Wakker bellows option, and so did I.

Having read your explanation, I am now more confident than before that I made a good decision.

I think I will get along with my Minstrel for my lifetime.  

Felted sleeve! the action should be very smooth I would imagine. :)

Hope you will have a good time with your Clover, and your old Minstrel will find a good owner!

Gen

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...