48 button Wheatstone Crane for sale (uk)

vision2020

I am looking to replace my 48 button Wheatstone Crane Duet with an instrument with a larger range. I need to sell this first. Would prefer UK sale so the purchasers can see / try the instrument first.

Looking for £1400 but willing to accept offers.

P7290015.JPG

P7290014.JPG

P7290016.JPG

P7290017.JPG

Hi Vision2020,

As a Crane player myself who has, at various times, owned 35, 42, 48, 51 and 55 button instruments, I'm intrigued to know what sort of music you play and where you need the extra notes. Is it on the left hand or the right hand, and is it more high notes or more low notes you are after?

LJ

Hello LJ

I play a lot of English traditional dance music but also accompany song. I  like to play chord accompaniment on LH and have often used bigger RH range than the 48 button offers. I have either had or have 59 and 61 button instruments and you get used to having the convenience of half an octave more. I am encouraging my daughter to play crane and would like to get a larger instrument available for her. 

Sid

Thank you I  am aware of the Wheatstone 55 that Theo Gibb has advertised

3 hours ago, vision2020 said:

Hello LJ

I play a lot of English traditional dance music but also accompany song. I  like to play chord accompaniment on LH and have often used bigger RH range than the 48 button offers. I have either had or have 59 and 61 button instruments and you get used to having the convenience of half an octave more.

Hi Vision2020

I'm almost exactly the same - traditional English dance music and song accompaniment with extensive use of chords and countermelodies on the LH - but my experience is different. I've come to the conclusion that a 48 is more than adequate, except for lacking a few lower notes in the bass (which even the 55 lacks and, I suspect, even your 59 and 61 button instruments did).

I infer from your answer that it is the higher notes on each side you use, to play more at the pitch a C/G anglo would. But please tell me if I'm wrong!

LJ

Hello LJ

I also play 46 button Anglos . Some of the tunes I play on Anglo I cant transfer directly to 59 button Crane because of its limitations At the high end. Also the 59 goes down to G below middle C . Those few notes are very useful in not having to play them on LHS.   EG Caitlin nic Gabhans tune Heartsrings takes you to G below middle C. And her tune Sundays Well uses C 2 octaves above middle C.

On 8/14/2018 at 6:20 PM, vision2020 said:

Hello LJ

... Also the 59 goes down to G below middle C . Those few notes are very useful in not having to play them on LHS.   EG Caitlin nic Gabhans tune Heartsrings takes you to G below middle C. 

Thanks for introducing me to Heartstrings and Caitlin nic Gabhans. It's a lovely tune which I might have a go at myself.

Do you have many tunes that go this low? I have a handful or more that go to the B just below middle C, but I can't think of any tune that goes lower.

LJ