Need some personal reviews of a brand

I will be purchasing a concertina within the next few days most likely, but I am unsure of the brand and the company that sells it. Would anybody be able to give me a quick review of this specific instrument?

The concertina in question is the 30 key Bonetti from USA Music Supply as seen here http://www.usamusicsupply.com/new-30-button-natural-finishl-concertina-accordion-w-case-ap30.html

I will be getting this one pretty much no matter what, but I would love to be prepared for the quality of it. I have seen both great hatred and love for this one, but most of it seems to be from beginners that don't know what to look for. Any responses to this would be greatly appreciated.

I have absolutely no idea, but what I do know is that IF it is lemon, you will have wasted $229, even though it looks like a great price.  I would like to suggest that you extend your wait time from a few days to a few weeks. That concertina is not going anywhere.

I started out by RENTING a concertina from Button Box for around $35 per month.  That proved to be wise for me.  Just a suggestion.

https://www.buttonbox.com/

If the instrument is poor in quality, your experience may be poor, and you may give up.

Having an instrument that responds and plays somewhat well, can help to propel you through

the multiple learning curves that you are about to embark on.

The Rochelle by Concertina Connection was designed by a renowned company as a satisfactory introductory instrument.  They have the technical know-how and experience to know which corners could be cut and which should not, and many of us, myself included, have started out successfully on the Rochelle and it's English and duet counterparts. 

Concertina Connection has an enviable reputation to protect, and the Rochelle will get you started properly just as they say it will. 

Who designed and built this bargain concertina? Do they stand behind it? Will those thin bellows folds hold up? Is it in tune? I don't know, and I think your odds of having a very sad introduction to the concertina are high. 

Why not purchase an instrument expressly designed for your situation, or rent one as suggested above? My best to you as you start your new musical adventure. 

This concertina will most likely have been produced in the PRC, and quality may vary, from awfull to (in a way) decent.

However,  what's puzzling me is that even the glossy picture on their website is showing a wonky screw which seems to have split the wood below the black tape (see first picture). If you can't afford a vintage Lachenal or similar, the Rochelle will be at least a reliable instrument.

Best wishes - ?

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
typo

Well, I have resolved to actually get the instrument, even though the replies to this post have not been exactly recommending that. I am not expecting much of it, but I can't really afford much more at the moment and I just crave playing it. I know it may not be the best, but I certainly won't give up and I will eventually get a better one when I am more financially able. I am no stranger to broken instruments (my first guitar had only three strings and my first accordion practically had a drone note) and so I pretty much constantly prepare for the worst with this kind of stuff. That being said, I found two videos of this concertina being played, and I actually don't think it seems too bad just to start with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHQYvevA7Lw

https://vimeo.com/119930048

Either way, I will be getting it. I know it would be ideal to get something better, but at this point in time and for a while I will not have that option. If it is bad, I will not give up. I have spent the past year or two wanting to play the concertina because I love the music it can make. One specific concertina being bad to play would not shake me off of it for sure. Anyway, thank you for the responses.

I've looked closely at all the photos and I can say I've seen worse looking instruments.  External appearance is not much to go by, but I hope the money they have saved by not adding unnecessary sparkly decoration has gone instead into the quality and action and reeds.  It is a better looking box than my old Rochelle, although this is purely a mater of personal taste.

I've read the advert which strikes me as having been written by someone who knows a little bit about concertinas, but not much about restrained use of language to describe items for sale.  I doubt it is "beyond perfect" as they suggest.

If it arrives and is absolutely awful, try straight away to get your consumer rights.  If it is OK, then well done for making the decision.  In this forum, we always recommend the Rochelle, with good reason, but it would be good for us all to know of a decent alternative for a beginner.

You get what you pay for, and a $3,000 instrument is incredibly better to play than a $300 instrument.  A good beginner's instrument will encourage you to save or borrow to get a better one. The only danger is that a bad beginner's instrument may discourage you.  Good luck, and please let us know how you get on with it.

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!

This item has a full 14-Day Satisfaction Guarantee! If you are not satisfied with your purchase within the first 14 days of receiving the instrument, simply contact us for an RMA number. Then, return the item in the same new condition as you received it, and we will refund your purchase amount in full, minus a 20% restocking fee. This gives each buyer 14 days to inspect the instrument. Take the worry out of your purchase! 

You never know. If it’s out of tune or notes don’t play (or shut up) maybe they’ll actually honor the guarantee.

19 hours ago, Sobak said:

I have spent the past year or two wanting to play the concertina because I love the music it can make. One specific concertina being bad to play would not shake me off of it for sure.

That's the spirit!

Not only the bad workman, but also the unmotivated learner blames his tools! Sounds like you'll be OK.

And if that concertina really is scrap, at least it's new, and has that money-back guarantee - which a beat-up used one wouldn't.

Cheers,

John

My first concertina, which I had for about 15 years, was a used Stagi with leaks. I fixed it and happily played it until I got more money. I understood the difference, but I wasn't going to let my lack of money keep me from doing something I had wanted to do for a very long time. At the time the Stagi was really big bucks for me, but I am happy I bought it.

Edited by mdarnton

Come to think of it, the three instruments that I use most for song accompaniment and solo instrumentals, and in the band, are the 5-string banjo, the Anglo concertina and the German Waldzither. And my first contact with each of them was in the form of a decidedly sub-optimal specimen. However, I soon reached a stage where I realised that these were instruments for me, and that an upgrade (in the case of the concertina and Waldzither) or an extensive renovation and set-up (in the case of the banjo) was really worthwhile.

If I'd been put off by misplaced frets, buzzing strings and detuned reeds, I'd have missed out on a lot of musical pleasure!:)

Cheers,

John