Appcordions concertina apps - how to hold it right

I am curious to know how folks hold their smart phones or iPads while using one of Michael Eskin's concertina apps.

Do you hold it flat on your lap with the screen facing upwards and play it like a two dimensional piano or a Jammer interface, or do you hold it almost vertically with the screen facing away from you in imitation of the how you would play a real concertina?

Or maybe some other way?

I am particularly interested to hear from Duettina players as I am hoping to persuade Michael to implement a new, larger Hayden layout for the iPad.  

Personally, I have not used the Duettina app much as I had mistakenly assumed it only supported the mirrored Wicki keyboard layout.  Since then I have tried it both ways and think that I prefer the laptop orientation rather than the semi-upright orientation. However, I am really not in a position to pass judgement, so I will largely discount my own opinion in favour of more seasoned users (David?).

Thanks in advance,

Don.

5 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

I am curious to know how folks hold their smart phones or iPads while using one of Michael Eskin's concertina apps...

I had never given these programs any thought till I saw the photographs in ME's recent thread.

I too was going to ask this question, but Don has beaten me to it! Just how do folks use these

tablet-based concertina applications?

Depends on the app. Englitina on the iPhone generally is played holding the iPhone on the edges with the thumb and little finger and the phone facing up,  or anchored as my friend John O’Hara is doing in this video:

Or this one, from my old Uillitina app that is the same as Englitina but with Uilleann pipes sounds. (I should resurrect this one!):

The IPhone Concertina app is generally played with the phone held between the thumbs and little fingers as in this video:

The iPad apps are generally just played with the iPad on the lap for EnglitinaXL

or on one leg so it can be tilted for ConcertinaXL:

On the latest iPad Pro models, it’s useful to put a foam tube (I use a piece of split pipe insulation) wrapped around the edge of the iPad to create a handrest to put the handin a more natural position and to get the palm off the screen. 

The old models had wider bezels and you could lean your hand against the device without touching it with your palm.

Hope that is useful.

13 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

I will largely discount my own opinion in favour of more seasoned users (David?).

Before I got the 6+ I had a 4S, and the screen was too small to fit my fingers on. Back then I used an iPad with the double image size option, but I have not done that in years.

Michael, I hope you weren’t driving...

1 hour ago, eskin said:

Awesome video David! Mind if I add a link to it on the AppCordions Concertina apps page?

Thanks. Sure, go ahead. You’ve seen it before, when I first posted it in 2014. The 5th comment in that thread is yours.

Note the flash of the old “Tradlessons” screen, however. This was from before Appcordions.

On 8/6/2018 at 7:48 PM, David Barnert said:

You don’t want to fold it like this /\/\/\/\/\ ?          ?

Yeah, Ideally I'd get two ipad minis and  tape a couple of pairs of old socks between them.  But then I'd have to learn to play upside down on one hand since the image would keep flipping. Hmmmm.   I did find an adventurous soul when I searched Facebook to see if there was a concertina presence... ( None I could find that seemed very active.)  My daily feed is filled with Boukoukis and Tenor Banjos, Chiffs and Fipples, low whistles and the most active of all--- The Traditional Irish Button Accordion page-- lots of great posts daily.)  But I did run into  an Electronic Concertina maker from South Africa. You guys probably all know about that invention.  I'm not tempted, but I applaud the ingenuity.