Anglo players: great left hand exercise

Anglo players: if you're like me, your left hand is a lot less adept at melody than your right, especially when melody centers on your pinky and ring finger.

Here's a great exercise: learn  Piazolla's Libertango.  I'm doing it this week for a gig on Sunday.  My head is about to explode,  but it's lots of fun, and it strikes me as a great exercise for improving left hand dexterity and control.  The fingering does get a bit tricky.

4 hours ago, wunks said:

Jim, was this piece written with the bandonion in mind, and if so, does it favor a bisonoric instrument?

There are enough differences between bandoneon and Anglo that I'm not sure it's a factor.  The in-out pattern isn't particularly difficult; it's the pattern of the melody, and how it centers on the last fingers of the left hand. And, of course, getting the pattern into your head.

Thanks for the reply.  I know it sounded a bit like a test question.  I've been listening to this for a while with intent towards the fiddle but now that you've brought it up I think I'll give it a try on duet. The melody seems simple enough and as a string player I'm used to noting with the left hand.  Tunes in a lower register are most pleasing to my ear as well.