Concertina Ryan Air

There are two bits of advice about taking a concertina through airport security worth repeating (for entertainment value if not practical value, but who knows—maybe both).

1) If they ask you what it is, try to answer the question without using the word “concertina.” Musical instrument. Squeezebox. Accordion. The word “concertina” is on the list of things that must be confiscated because it is short for “concertina wire,” which can be used as a weapon.

2) When placing it on the x-ray conveyor belt, place it on its bottom, top, front, or back, but not on its side. The image created when the x-rays pass through the axis of the bellows, with levers spreading out in all directions, looks confusingly like a cluster bomb.

I've travelled with 'tina in hand luggage in Europe on Easyjet and on Ryanair, with no problems.

I usually say to the operator of the X-ray machine that "its a musical instrument -  squeezebox", as it looks unusual on the X-ray image - similar to the magazine of a sub-machine gun, I'm told.

If your flight is within the EU, then there should be no worry about CITES endangered species regulations (e.g. rosewood) as its a single customs area (until Brexit!).

If you are putting the 'tina in your main cabin bag (55cm x 40cm x 20cm), it's worth buying Ryanair "Priority and second bag" to ensure that you can keep your cabin bag in the cabin, rather than having it taken off you at the gate and slung in the hold to pickup from the destination carousel. 

The alternative is put 'tina in personal bag (35cm x 20cm x 20cm) to go under seat in front - I've carried a Lachenal English to Sweden like that. 

On 7/28/2018 at 10:59 AM, David Barnert said:

There are two bits of advice about taking a concertina through airport security worth repeating (for entertainment value if not practical value, but who knows—maybe both).

1) If they ask you what it is, try to answer the question without using the word “concertina.” Musical instrument. Squeezebox. Accordion. The word “concertina” is on the list of things that must be confiscated because it is short for “concertina wire,” which can be used as a weapon.

2) When placing it on the x-ray conveyor belt, place it on its bottom, top, front, or back, but not on its side. The image created when the x-rays pass through the axis of the bellows, with levers spreading out in all directions, looks confusingly like a cluster bomb.

I've just landed after a trip abroad - I always say to the security person that I have a small accordion in my bag - 1 time in 5 or so it'll be examined by hand (and I've even held a mini concert a few times ? over the years).

10 hours ago, Peter Laban said:

FWIW, the EU will remain a single customs area after the UK leaves.

Indeed, the rest of the EU will remain a single customs area, but Kelteglow gives location as Penzance, which is in the EU now, but probably wont be next year. Of course, even outside the EU, we might negotiate staying in the European Economic Area, like Iceland, Norway and Lichtenstein are, or just the single market, like Switzerland - nobody knows yet!