The Dreadnought Sheet Music for Anglo

Acqua

Greetings, first post here as I've just acquired my first concertina about a week ago, a 30 button C/G Rochelle anglo. First thing I did was buy Gary Coover's new shanty book and his Civil War book (which I discovered while looking for Sea of Thieves sheet music, great work on Grog Mayles, Gary!) However, I have been unable to find any good sheet music for The Dreadnought, I've heard some great renditions of it, obviously one being Ewan McColl and the other being an instrumental of a version by Robert White & Tim Laycock, searchable on google under "The Dreadnought Tea Clipper" as well as an mp3 attached. I'm  interested in finding some form of sheet music for any version that doesn't just provide the melody, but extremely interested in this "Tea Clipper" version. Any help would be appreciated!

The Dreadnought Tea Clipper.mp3

7 hours ago, Acqua said:

...I've heard some great renditions of it, obviously one being Ewan McColl and the other being an instrumental of a version by Robert White & Tim Laycock, searchable on google under "The Dreadnought Tea Clipper" as well as an mp3 attached. I'm  interested in finding some form of sheet music for any version that doesn't just provide the melody...

That MP3 is a seriously good version! Thanks for posting. Unfortunately the hand-cobbled ABC I have is melody only (and probably not

very well remembered :( ).

There's a score (again, melody only) on p. 346 of Stan Hugill's 'Shanties from the Seven Seas', Mystic Seaport, 1994, 0-913372-70-6.

Hugill spells it 'Dreadnaught'.

FWIW, 'Dreadnought' is not mentioned in Lubbock's 'The China Clippers'. I don't think she was a tea clipper, I think she she was a (mail?)

packet on the Liverpool-New York run.

Roger

Edited by lachenal74693

Sorry, Acqua, it's in the "Pirate Songs" book as "Flash Frigate" in Em, but melody only!

But the mp3 is in Dm and that's a natural for the 30-button so you should be able to pick it out. You'll need to reach up to the third row for a couple of the notes, but I'll bet you can figure it out!

Gary

15 hours ago, lachenal74693 said:

Snip. Snip ...

FWIW, 'Dreadnought' is not mentioned in Lubbock's 'The China Clippers'. I don't think she was a tea clipper, I think she she was a (mail?)

packet on the Liverpool-New York run.

Roger

From "BOXING the COMPASS", by Roy Palmer, - Sea Songs and Shanties.

In the notes to this song says, ....

If not the fastest of the Western Ocean packets, the DREADNAUGHT of the Red Cross Line was arguably the best known. She was built at Newburyport, Massachusetts, and at 1,413 tons register was a large ship for the time. ... She was wrecked off Cape Horn in 1869. ...The song may have derived from the FANCY FRIGATE (No 98 in this book) which was current from some 20 years earlier. The two songs shared the tune of 'King John and the Abbot of Canterbury' and the DREADNAUGHT was also sung to versions of 'The Bold Princess Royal. ... '

see here for a picture ... Wrecksite

Jake

On 7/27/2018 at 3:12 AM, Don Taylor said:

Here it is in Dm.

Thank you Don. In the Hugill version, there's a low A immediately after the C# - I don't have that

A on my 26-button C/G, so the E in the version you posted will do very nicely as an alternative...