New Anglo Concertina Chord Charts

Wellsy

I have just completed a page of (pretty) exhaustive charts for the Anglo concertina, as part of my tuition website the Supplementary Anglo Concertina Tutor [ https://concertutor.wordpress.com/ ].

The chords are here - https://concertutor.wordpress.com/fitting-chords-to-your-playing/chord-fingerings/ . 

There are 31 charts, covering 7 major keys and 6 minors. I hope they’ll be helpful to some people. Let me know your thoughts on the comments section of the page ( which I can’t find myself !).

The page is very lengthy, not at all compact, and perhaps a tad clunky. I may now go back and try to make it more user-friendly with my VERY limited Wordpress skills.

But in the meantime, Anglo players, I welcome your helpful comments.

Thanks, SIMON

• Like 2

> ...But in the meantime, Anglo players, I welcome your helpful comments...

I couldn't quite see how to comment directly.

The chord charts look pretty comprehensive. Ta!

I don't play (much) ITM myself,(*) and I haven't looked at the whole site yet, but the pages look a little as if

they are heading in that general direction? That's an observation, not a criticism, it all looks PDG to me. The

part dealing with cross-rowing is nice. I too was scared of cross-rowing when I started (but I'm OK now).

Your encouragement seems to me to be nicely pitched for encouraging newcomers to cross-rowing to cross

that boundary. Thank you!

Section on Terminology: Notes and buttons:

> ...(T standing for 3rd row  but some people call this the outside row,  or accidentals row too)...

Guilty as charged m'lud - please think of me as 'some people'. I've moved a fairly long way from the usual(?)

row-naming convention. (Ooh! You rebel, you! :))

Assuming we are talking about C/G instruments  (I don't think that is explicitly stated in the page?), I have

the 'accidental' row, the 'home' row and the 'G' row (on a G/D, that would be the 'D' row). I also number the

buttons differently aL5->aR5 for the 'accidentals'; L5->R5 for the 'home' row and gL5->gR5 for the 'G' row

(dL5->dR5 on a G/D). I don't know if other folks have developed 'their own' systems. (aside: might be

interesting to find out?)

Sounds clunky :unsure:, but it works well when editing tabs into ABC scripts (if that's what floats your boat), and

produces readable scores.

Despite the fact that I'm using a non-standard row naming/button numbering systems, I don't have problems

working with other systems so, once again, thank you for going to the trouble of putting this together.

Roger

(*)Not good enough yet! :(

Edited by lachenal74693

Thanks Rog for your reply and positive comments.

Yes, posting comments on Wordpress is bloody frustratingly annoying. People have posted comments on my site in the past. But now - I don't know how one does that.

8 minutes ago, Wellsy said:

Thanks Rog for your reply and positive comments...

My pleasure - all part of the service!

8 minutes ago, Wellsy said:

...Yes, posting comments on Wordpress is bloody frustratingly annoying. People have posted comments on my site in the past. But now - I don't know how one does that.

Slightly OT: I was involved (fairly peripherally) in maintaining a Wordpress-based site about 3 years ago - it was a bloody nightmare!

R

Edited by lachenal74693

Inside row is nearest to the hand rests, outside row is the next one (the "home row") and the 3rd row,where it exists, is the "bonus row" — which sounds so much more positive than "accidental", don't you think?  :)

Your charts are very plainly set out and will find many uses.  Thank you for making them available.

Personally, I regularly use different fingerings for what you have called the D major chord.  (Being a Morris man, I think in G/D so for me it's an A major.)

I use this for a block chord, especially when modulating, notated as D major for a C/G box:

Pull

T: X  X  X  X X

O: X  X  D  X A

I:   X F# X X X

And I use this version for vamping, using the D as the bass:

Pull

O: X  X  D  X X

I:   X F# A X X

Also, again notated for C on C/G box, the chord C major, you can use any of these as bass if you are vamping the chord, and when the chord is sustained for several beats, you can alternate or walk between them:

Push

T: E  X  X  X X

O: C G  X  X X

I:   X X  X  X X

This button (1st button, inside row) is different on the pull on all 3 of my boxes (adjusted for key) so I'd be wary of using it in any standard chord charts as it may risk causing confusion:

Pull

O: X  X  X  X X

I:   O  X  X X  X

So much depends on your style of playing.  There are so many potential fingerings even for a simple scale that it is difficult to list them all.  On a 30 button, almost every note is there twice, and some are there 3 times.  In real life, I tend to use snatches or individual notes from many of the scales, but even when I play 6 or 8 notes of a C major scale in a row (on a C/G) , I may follow many different routes through the maze depending on what came before, what's coming next, or which harmonies fit best, and not always the same route for similar parts of the same tune.

fascinating instrument.  :)