starting anglo concertina

accordian

It would be a G/D (rather than a DG), and yes, it‘s well-suited for Morris, and nicely sounding - and I‘m sure Gary will not mind me assuring you that you can play everything right from his books, only with the outcome of sounds a fourth lower (it‘s called using the G/D as a „transposing“ instrument, „thinking“ of the G row as C, and the D row as G).

Best wishes - ?

What Wolf said! No one has yet written any books for G/D although I've certainly offered to help from the publishing end. G/D is becoming more popular in some circles, but keep in mind that 99% of the recordings out there of Morris music will be on C/G instruments. But yes, you can still work with the books to get the basic patterns down!

Gary

Gary Coover's Easy Anglo is practically guaranteed to get one started.  Plus he has exact repro's on You Tube of most tunes.  After you can make the thing play, then you can go in whatever direction you want.  Gary will get you from "squak" to tunes in a week.

1 hour ago, Devils' Dream said:

Plus he has exact repro's on You Tube of most tunes.

but exactly here's the caveat: the YT files will sound different from a G/D - up to anyone whether or not he or she'd be comfortable with that (I would)

Me, I never have been able to truly appreciate the high lonesome CG concertina (same with the DG melodeon).  Give me a GD 'tina or a CF melodeon!  But point made, Wolf; easy to be comfortable with the slightly different pitch when learning "how the tune goes" and the relative pitch between buttons.  

To Gary's point, "somebody" must be appreciating lower pitch, as there do seem to be more GD players (besides me) and someone is buying all these baritone hybrid  boxes...

On 5/24/2019 at 9:32 AM, Wolf Molkentin said:

the YT files will sound different from a G/D

Here’s what nobody has said clearly yet: The book will get you playing tunes, no problem, but you’ll be playing them in a different key than if you were playing a C/G, and therefore a different key than what you’ll hear on the videos. You will have to relearn them in the “correct” key if you want to play along with other musicians, but playing by yourself it will sound fine.