Advice, please.

Have a good look at Alex Holden's metal capped button making on his website. The next to last cap size looked good to me,  but maybe I am being greedy !  He does mention the possibility of just one extra tool to finish up at 6.35 mm.

The 6.25" size across the "flats" is a really nice size for a concertina; anything much larger than 8" can be a problem. Steve Dickenson fitted 46 buttons onto the 6.25" size instrument, which is just about the minimum needed for a really useful Hayden duet.

Inventor.  

14 minutes ago, inventor said:

Have a good look at Alex Holden's metal capped button making on his website. The next to last cap size looked good to me,  but maybe I am being greedy !  He does mention the possibility of just one extra tool to finish up at 6.35 mm.

The 6.25" size across the "flats" is a really nice size for a concertina; anything much larger than 8" can be a problem. Steve Dickenson fitted 46 buttons onto the 6.25" size instrument, which is just about the minimum needed for a really useful Hayden duet.

Inventor.  

My penultimate cap size is about 7.5mm if I recall correctly. I would make a 1/4" tool if somebody asked for it. Incidentally since I wrote that article I have made a tool for English-style 3/16" (about 4.7mm) caps.