C# within 20 button CG Anglo.

5 hours ago, Mikefule said:

For my money, although playing harmonically in the key of the inside row is trickier at first, the challenges it presents make you think harder and find more interesting solutions.  It sounds more distinctively Anglo.

Thank you for your in-depth reply, Mike! Interesting stuff - and with my limited experience I wouldn’t argue of course, much rather listen...

My only background for now trying the Anglo is my - admittedly itself limited - experience as a melodeonist. Coming from there, I‘m very happily exploring outer-row push/pull melody and harmony, which sounds very Anglo (or would you say: „German“ then?) to my ears.

Could you point me to a recording of yours that might serve as an example for what you’ve been saying here?

Best wishes - ?

13 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

Thank you for your in-depth reply, Mike! Interesting stuff - and with my limited experience I wouldn’t argue of course, much rather listen...

My only background for now trying the Anglo is my - admittedly itself limited - experience as a melodeonist. Coming from there, I‘m very happily exploring outer-row push/pull melody and harmony, which sounds very Anglo (or would you say: „German“ then?) to my ears.

Could you point me to a recording of yours that might serve as an example for what you’ve been saying here?

Best wishes - ?

Hi,

I haven't done many recordings recently.  I record directly through the camera and mic of my laptop and it's a bit of an exercise to get the light right.  Then I practise a tune 10 times perfectly but somehow it always takes 20 takes to get it right for the recording, and a lorry load of scrap iron goes over the pothole outside my house as I get to the last 4 bars.  However, here's a video of me playing The Rose in G on a CG 20 button.  There should be a link towards the end of the video to my other 20b videos, some of which are played harmonically and some of which are played single note style.

The Rose is a Morris dance tune, but as I mainly play for my own enjoyment rather than for the dance, I tend to play somewhat faster than dance speed!

On my channel, also try the Black Joke, which is harmonic in G on a CG 20b — although with hindsight, played far too fast!

14 hours ago, Sebastian said:

No.

Not sure if you mean:

1. No it isn't, I disagree, or
  2. No! You don't say!

I currently have a 20b CG, a 20b CG piccolo, and a 30b CG baritone, and play them all regularly.

OK, it's partly subjective, but to my ear, playing "on the G row" tends to be squeaky, although playing in G across the rows is less so.  It depends on the tune.  If you take a simple tune like Speed the Plough, which all lies above the tonic, and simply move it across bodily from the outside row to the inside row, the high parts will be squeaky.  That's all I meant.

On 10/13/2018 at 11:56 AM, Mikefule said:

Not sure if you mean:

1. No it isn't, I disagree, or
  2. No! You don't say!

No, it isn't, I disagree.

Compare for example this version of the Marino Waltz. I did play it on the G-row of a C/G 20 button concertina. The melody runs up to the high g, but I wouldn't describe it as "squeaky".

3 hours ago, Mikefule said:

OK, we disagree over something that is subjective: the use of the word "squeaky".  The point is not worth arguing for either of us.

I disagree. I think the difference in sound between the G row in your example and the G row in my example is quite clear.

The G row on a CG 20 button concertina is not always "quite squeaky" and doesn't have to be.

Edited by Sebastian

8 hours ago, Sebastian said:

I think the difference in sound between the G row in your example and the G row in my example is quite clear.

Is this because one example is from a single reed per note concertina and the other is from a dual or triple reeds per note concertina? 

Back on topic... I’ve had C# on the LH G row G/A button for a while now, substituting the A with C#. It actually feels like it’s in the right place. I never needed the a anyway (I use the pull a on the C row) and you can get a nice b/c#/e triplet on the pull. 

Obviously a GD instrument would be nice, because my muscle memory is geared towards that, but on the other hand, my Jones is really beautiful to play, is light, more mellow than a Lachenal, and the mod is v quick and easily reversible.