Wheatstone Jeffries Pattern Duet #32045

wunks

I'm curious as to what the ledger notes say about this concertina and did Wheatstone make any other Jeff duets?  It's rather large;  9 1/2" across the flats (Hex) with 53 buttons and varies slightly from the standard Jeffries pattern on the low end.

From December 1928, Ledger SD02. It reads N.P. flat 53 keys. Before that is what appears to read Duet Tex, but might be Duet Hex (for hexagonal). The words duet t(h)ex are written in stronger ink over an original text, which may be the same or there could be an alteration. In the column with serial numbers if you read sideways, there are the words Oval labels.

Thank you John.  I'll guess NP is nickle plated.  The entry describes this instrument to a "T".  It seems centered on C as is my actual Jeff duet but the lower end favors F and B flat but slights the key of G.  The F# is added to the lower top left row rather than being a thumb key and there is more overlap than the Jeffries.   There are some blank spaces in the low side reed block and there is room for another set or two of buttons on the end plate as they are crowded to one side.  Considering the date, I wonder if this was a custom job set up for playing Big Band or Jazz music and if there are others like it.  I'm tempted to have it's range extended but not if it's historically significant.  I bought it from Crabb's shop in Islington in the late 60's.

Thank you Wolfe, as well

Edited by wunks
Wolfe posted while I was typing

2 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

What is obvious to John (and more fellow concertinists) might not be so to the OP :)

so: "N.P." is generally assumed to have indicated "nickel plated" (end plates).

I should have said that - sorry.