Concertina related calluses?

Don Taylor

I have calluses of hard, scaly skin on some of the knuckles (second joint) on my hands.  In particular, both index finger knuckles and both middle finger knuckles.  The calluses on my right hand are worse than those on my left hand.  I have eliminated the two major medical complaints (gout and rheumatism) that can lead to tophi growths on knuckle joints and  I have long since stopped dragging my knuckles on the ground...

I am now wondering if playing the concertina is causing these calluses.  I have big hands so I do have to really bend my fingers to play, especially the index and middle fingers.

Has anybody else noticed this on their fingers?

Don.

Edited by Don Taylor

43 minutes ago, wunks said:

Now, how did you solve Gout and Rheumatiz?

I did not solve gout or rheumatism, I just got myself tested. Gout - my uric acid levels are normal, rheumatism - no sign of significant joint failure in my x-rays.

Don, it sounds like you have much the same as me. I also have the callouses as you describe. Mine aren't painful at all and I think they are caused by the way I lean on surfaces with my hands. It took me a long while to figure this out. Cheers, Dave.IMG_0764.thumb.JPG.5377173116e66c8246a8055fe2c66a3d.JPG

Edited by kenneads

I think Kennead’s explanation is on the mark.  Great photo illustrating the point btw!   

Before I retired, I would get calluses on the thumb side of my index and middle fingers especially in the right hand.  When they cracked it was very irritating.   I assumed it was from holding my pencil while doing engineering calcs.   But that didn’t explain the left hand nor the index fingers since the pencil was not on those spots.  But thinking about kennead’s photo, I handled lots of paper and blueprints, holding them between the thumb and index finger!   When blueprints where developed with ammonia, the calluses were really bad.   Probable some reside on the paper from the printer irritated the skin causing calluses.

I play my concertina daily and often but no calluses now from that.