Unexpected Magic

In another topic thread Chris discribes a situation with both his instruments breaking down in the midst of a session that it seems was so wonderful that he may have done himself a mistchief, had he not been able to repair one of them and dive back in. It has prompted me to relate my encounter with unexpected Magic.

Most weeks I attend a session on Tuesday evenings in a wonderful public house where the patrons are friendly and the musicians, well they are a joy and very important to me. As of late the sessions had been a bit flat (perhaps all in me thick noggin). I show up last night hopeful but not expecting that awaiting me was the most exhilarating evening of music and companionship it has been my privilege to experience in many a year.

The fiddler Jim, Sara and her hammered dulcimer, Tom and his beautiful old Wheatstone, Joey with his bodhran, they are all there eatin' supper. One suprise awaited me, a fella named John Caru. Wonderful baritone speaking voice. A heritage from Prince Edward Island, he has that regions well deserved reputation for song within him.

We sit down, he pulls out a small body guitar, we tune up and the magic just envelops us all. His chording was thrilling and responsive and the voice! Wonderfully full of gravel as if from a creek bed and a clear ability to communicate language! Chills were running down my spine (even a tear). We were all positively mad running from one run of tunes to another. This man tipped a balance creating an alchemy in the esemblege that was unique, dare I say magic.

Fiddlin' Jim remembering my fondness for the Bothy Band no doublt inspired by Johns backing started Colemans Cross, the years melted away for me. We went through several arrangements not thought of in ages. Time for me stood still. I was not separate from them. I didn't want it to end...none of us wanted it to end. But end it does as all things will.

I shook each hand and looked into each face and thanked them for the benediction on the evening. A moment, a connection, a communion passed between us. It still tingles my skin to think on it.

Edited by Mark Evans

In another topic thread Chris discribes a situation with both his instruments breaking down in the midst of a session that it seems was so wonderful that he may have done himself a mistchief, had he not been able to repair one of them and dive back in.  It has prompted me to relate my encounter with unexpected Magic.

That (Mark's magic story, not Chris's repairs) is a pretty fair description of my experience on every trip I made to Tom Hall's Friday night session in Portsmouth NH last school year. One of the things I miss most about living in New England. Have not stumbled onto (or succeeded in organzing) anything similar here in western Pennsylvania. Awaiting that time...

In another topic thread Chris discribes a situation with both his instruments breaking down in the midst of a session that it seems was so wonderful that he may have done himself a mistchief, had he not been able to repair one of them and dive back in.  It has prompted me to relate my encounter with unexpected Magic.

That (Mark's magic story, not Chris's repairs) is a pretty fair description of my experience on every trip I made to Tom Hall's Friday night session in Portsmouth NH last school year. One of the things I miss most about living in New England. Have not stumbled onto (or succeeded in organzing) anything similar here in western Pennsylvania. Awaiting that time...

Could you talk the Coventry Inn into organizing something? With their national exposure among the British car community, they could perhaps reach prospective participants that you wouldn't. I've spent many fine evenings at the Coventry in years past....

Simply lovely, Mark.

I've been off the net for a few days and this was the first thread I chose to read. It sounded like it would be intriguing, and indeed it was.

I wish you many more such wonderful evenings.

Helen