Tune name ?

As I remember it from ?40 years ago......may not be exact after this passage of time but it came to me like this last week.

It was on an Alistair Anderson record, the name of which also escapes me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsI8AVOvf2Y

Any ideas  ?

I was looking for a tune to pair with Mount Pleasant and  half a bar's similarity prompted the return of the tune.

This is Mount Pleasant............just a great tune !

Mount Pleasant.pdf

Edited by Robin Harrison

And the answer is....................Thrunton Woods from Corby Crag, the Alistair Anderson album

This from Novascotian who I believe may be a member both here and Mel.net.

Thank you to him for a good memory !

Next up I would  like to figure out where it comes from.

I've tried enlarging images I can get off the net of the back of the LP but can't make it out.

If anyone owns the LP, I'd appreciate an image of it.

I"m pleased to have found the name but it's not one  imbued with beauty for such a chipper tune.............Thrunton.....................but perhaps Thrunton Woods is a place of  loveliness, who knows.

Robin

8 hours ago, Robin Harrison said:

If anyone owns the LP, I'd appreciate an image of it.

Robin, I have the LP and can scan it and send the images to you. Do you want a scan of the whole cover or just the information about Thrunton Woods which is paired with The Hawk Polka.

The liner notes read:

"THE HAWK POLKA/THRUNTON WOODS

James Hill, the composer of The High Level Hornpipe and many other fine fiddle tunes, lived at 'The Hawk', a pub in Gateshead. He named at least two tunes after the pub, one a reel which is quite well known and this polka which I found in a manuscript lent to me by John Gall of Beamish Museum who got it from John Hockey, a farmer in East Boldon, Co. Durham. The book appears to be the work of William Hall Lister also of East Boldon. Thrunton Woods are just to the south of our house."

I had to rummage through my very old collection to find the album and realised how long it is since I listened to them. I am now on the lookout for a turntable so I can relive some old times.

Cheers,

Dave

This is an image of the back cover, left side only as it would not all fit my scanner. Hope this helps. Edited to add - the dark background may make it difficult to read.

- John.

Corby_crag-1.jpg

Edited by John Wild

John, you are a pal !

However, I'm not sure it gets me any further ahead !

Reading the notes carefully , he appears NOT to mention the second tune, Thrunton Woods; assuming that the "polka I found in a manuscript etc" is the Hawk Polka .

Is that how you read it ?

Thanks again ,

Robin

8 hours ago, Robin Harrison said:

John, you are a pal !

However, I'm not sure it gets me any further ahead !

Reading the notes carefully , he appears NOT to mention the second tune, Thrunton Woods; assuming that the "polka I found in a manuscript etc" is the Hawk Polka .

Is that how you read it ?

Thanks again ,

Robin

It seems you just get one sentence - "Thrunton woods are just to the south of our house". On the record label itself, Alistair's name is listed as the composer.