Beginner Questions...

Actually, I was just reccomended a 20-button over a 30 yesterday for a first instrument. I belive that the idea is it would be less frustrating to learn.

Gurk! What a strange thing for someone to suggest. You are quite right, just ignore the third row at first. But the "accidentals" row is not just accidentals, but reverses of important buttons and things of that kind. You will fairly quickly get impatient with the limitations of a 20-button box.

If money is an issue (and, concertinas being what they are, it usually is) and you really cannot go to a 30-button, then watch out for the 26-buttons that sometimes flit past on eBay and elsewhere. Much cheaper than a thirty-buttton, much more versatile than a 20-button, they often make a very good buy for a starter concertina.

Chris

I'm honestly quite torn...I have NO background in free reed instruments, and haven't played anything at all in years, so the simplicity of a 20 appeals to me. I doubt I'll ever get "serious" about playing for audiences or anything. On the other hand, if I take to it, I'll want the 30....somebody just give me a free concertina so I won't have to make a decision!

Greg

Greg,

When I got my concertina, I liked it right away. I play harmonica professionally, and I know what is a good free-reed sound. This one, 30 buttons, under $100.oo has got a great sound, airtight - a good starter. My technique limits me more than the instrument at this point, and it will be so for a while.

If I did get 20 buttons first, and LIKED the instrument like I did, right away, the same moment I'd regret that I didn't pay for 10 more buttons. It would drive me crazy, to guess what those buttons would offer. In fact I would not need to guess - I know they provide you with a complete instrument, and all the music you can think of can be made on one. The choice is simple.

I'm honestly quite torn...I have NO background in free reed instruments, and haven't played anything at all in years, so the simplicity of a 20 appeals to me.  I doubt I'll ever get "serious" about playing for audiences or anything.  On the other hand, if I take to it, I'll want the 30....somebody just give me a free concertina so I won't have to make a decision!

Greg,

I honestly would suggest getting a 30 button if you can afford it at all. If you are sure you want to do Irish music then the 24 button Edgley will work, but if you want to do other sorts of music I would say 26 buttons is the minimum. In any case, I would hardly say that a 30 button is more complicated to play... it just adds other options... ones that you will want if you take to the instrument. Also if you are buying new, 30 buttons will have a larger market than other instruments so if you decide you don't like it and want to sell it later you will get better resale value.

--

Bill

Greg,

When I got my concertina, I liked it right away. I play harmonica professionally, and I know what is a good free-reed sound. This one, 30 buttons, under $100.oo has got a great sound, airtight - a good starter. My technique limits me more than the instrument at this point, and it will be so for a while.

If I did get 20 buttons first, and LIKED the instrument like I did, right away, the same moment I'd regret that I didn't pay for 10 more buttons. It would drive me crazy, to guess what those buttons would offer. In fact I would not need to guess - I know they provide you with a complete instrument, and all the music you can think of can be made on one. The choice is simple.

It sounds like the instrument for me! The price is certainly right...can you provide me with brand, key and where you got it? I would prefer something NOT pearlized red plastic if possible!

It will be red pearlized plastic look, and it will match your playing skill perfectly for a long time. CG, at www.violinsoftexas.com

The look, chinese origin, etc. - is all a status game and I don't play it. Some of my buttons were catching the edge of their holes at first - easy to adjust. Any instrument will need adjustments. For the price, it is worth it. I love mine more and more every day. People that do not know what concertina "should" look like(majority of earth's population) think it is beautiful. I do as well.

If we're not talking hand made, over $1000.oo, "Booringwood", stagi, etc. - all seem to be made at the same factory in china.

It sounds like the instrument for me! The price is certainly right...can you provide me with brand, key and where you got it? I would prefer something NOT pearlized red plastic if possible!

Greg,

I am afraid I am not a big fan of the current crop of Chinese Concertinas. They are air-tight but they don't sound much like a concertina. What is worse, as far as I am concerned is that the button placement is awkward. They might work if you have really long fingers (my fingers are short and thick), but when i tried one that a friend had gotten, I literally couldn't reach the air-button while I was playing. In my case at least, I would say that the instrument would be a limiter very quickly.

--

Bill

I sympathize with you Ken and I myself must admit that one of my favorite links is a direct link to this forum  :ph34r:

A suggestion:

You could place some essential links at the top of the forum page (close to the advertizing section).

Actually, Paul and I consulted about this, and you will find a Concertina.net link at the top of this page. That takes you to the home page, where you can wander to Learning, Listening, Buyer's Guide, Repair, Around the World and so on. That was our compromise (Paul really has three half-time jobs right now), better than waiting for us to redesign everything! ;)

Thank you - my knuckles are deservedly rapped. 

No rapping necessary (English ritual dancers excepted) but do hunt around over there. If printed out all that wisdom since 1996 would fill a sizable book, and some of it is still worth reading.

Cheers,

Ken