Buzzing Reed

Hi all,

I have a buzzing reed on my 38-button C/G Jeffries.  Middle Bb on the pull i.e. first finger, outside row.  I've tried the usual tricks of sliding stiff paper in and out and gently pulling it away from the reedpan - as far as I can tell, when I look from 'inside' the reedpan I can see light all around the reed so I guess it's not touching anywhere.  But it's buzzing badly.  Any ideas?

Cheers

K

might the reed shoe be sitting all too firmly in its slot? that’s what had apparently been causing a buzz with my concertina recently (which happens to be an English, meaning I could just swap the two reed shoes with each having a reed of the same pitch, and - aside killing the buzz - got a better fit for both)

best wishes - ?

Could be the valve next to it. To test, change the valve, remove it, or put a tiny piece of sellotape to hold it down. If the buzz goes away then change the valve.  Another clue as to whether it is the valve next to the reed is if it is worse when you change bellows direction without lifting your finger off the button.

• Like 1

Humidity can affect both valves and reed pans.  If the reed is hitting the frame, you can’t tell by looking unless the reed is forced into the frame.  At rest, you can easily see light all around, since the reed is sitting above the window.  Pressing it flush to the window. Is the only way to see if it is touching.  On an instrument this old, I doubt if the reed has moved enough to touch on it;s own, but swelling of the reed pan can pinch the window enough to cause a buzz, or even to stop a reed from sounding.  In this case, pulling the reed shoe back and pushing it home until it feels snug will un-pinch the reed.  

Changes in humidity can affect the valves by causing them to curl down so they touch at the root and tip, and then bounce up and down when the reed is trying to sound.  (This happens with increasing humidity generally.  Drying tends to curl valves upwards, spoiling response, but not causing buzzing.)

Loose reed shoes (frames) will buzz in their dovetails as well, and it isn’t always the buzzing note that is loose.  Sometimes the vibration transfers to a different location, or can cause a buzz in any part of the concertina that resonates around that pitch.

Dana