Pirate Songs for Concertina - new book!

gcoover

In flagrant disregard for the obvious anachronism... here's a new book, Pirate Songs for Concertina, with nearly 70 songs and tunes. All include standard musical notation, lyrics, and tablature for the Anglo concertina. It's available through Amazon US, UK, DE, ES, IT, FR, CA, etc., and perhaps soon at the Button Box (US) and Red Cow Music (UK).

I've had a few requests for a nautically themed book, but with all the recent pirate-themed movies, TV shows and online games it just made sense to go full-on piratical for this one. And who knows, perhaps fans of some of those shows and games will be interested in picking up and learning the real thing?

Some songs have harmonies and accompaniments, some are just single note melody, and one song can even be played with only two buttons of the Anglo. Also threw in a couple of hornpipes and jigs. About 80% can be played on a 20-button Anglo, and most have a small graphic showing which buttons are needed for each tune.

And the best, and most fun, part of writing this book? The writin' all be in pirate-speak. Aye, 'tis tempting indeed to give up speakin' and writin' proper English fer good!

Here's a sample that includes the Table of Contents plus a couple of the songs. 

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

Pirate-Songs-SAMPLE.pdf

PirateSongs-Cover.JPG

• Like 2

So, what's the point of having a pirate book without a bit of a treasure hunt? 

On the dedication page (attached) are the names of several pirates "real and imagined". At least 10 are in the "imagined" category. (As is the fact that any of them were concertina players!)

As a CNET Special Exclusive, the first five folks who can correctly identify the 10 names and where they come from will each get a free copy of Pirate Songs for Concertina. What a deal!

And, for the first person who can also correctly identify the more modern source of the 11th name (this one's a bit more tricky, "eleven" is itself an obscure clue), I'll also throw in a copy of one other Anglo book of their choosing.

All you need to do is just send me a PM with the correct answers.

Happy hunting! 

Gary

PSFC-DedicationPage.pdf

I made my submission for the treasure hunt earlier, but regardless of the outcome, I have to say, "Thanks, Gary!" I really appreciate your willingness to share snippets of your books here on occasion. They've been a lot of fun, and it's what prompted me to pick up Christmas Concertina when I did. Thanks for sharing your hard work and know-how.

Four winners so far! And it turns out there are 11 (and not 10) obvious "not real" pirates on the list. So you only need to name 10 of them.

But there be one more who could conceivably be included in the fictional list, and I'm curious if anyone will be able to spot who it is (for the extra book). And there, I've just gone and given you two more clues... And, the "11" clue still stands. Curses! Arrrr!

Gary

Wow, that was great fun! The treasure has been found so the contest is now closed. 

And the answers are: 

Hector Barbossa, Sao Feng, Jack Sparrow, Elizabeth Swann, William Turner - from "Pirates of the Caribbean"

Peter Blood - from the 1935 Errol Flynn movie "Captain Blood"

James Hook - Peter Pan

Davy Jones - from folklore (and "Pirates of the Caribbean")

Peg Leg Pete - from the 1932 Terrytoon cartoon (and Disney)

Long John Silver - from Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island 

One-Eyed Willy - from the 1985 movie "The Goonies"

And for the extra credit pirate, I was going to add another clue maybe something about a Pontiac parked at Downton Abbey - since Hugh Bonneville played Captain Henry Avery in the Dr Who episode "The Curse of the Black Spot", featuring Matt Smith, the 11th doctor - but Schult and Mjolnir figured it out first.

Thanks to all who played! A hearty yo-ho to all! Now go treat yourself to a nice tot of rum.

Gary

Edited by gcoover

And a most excellent novel it is, too!

(Thanks for your contributions to the concertina world, Gary. I really appreciate all the work you put in, and you've taught me a lot.)

• 2 weeks later...

BREAKING NEWS!!!

I just now heard from the developers of Sea of Thieves and they have most graciously granted permission to include "Grogg Mayles" in Pirate Songs for Concertina!

So, a revised printing will be available shortly. For those of you who already have the book, I'll be happy to send you an insert, or you can also find it here on cnet from a few weeks ago.

Arrr!

Gary

• Like 1

Still waiting on paperwork from Microsoft... they probably have a whole team of lawyers working to agree on the proper copyright citation for this one little tune.

In the meanwhile, Amazon's "Look Inside" feature is now active, so all you cheapskates curious onlookers out there can learn a few for free!

Gary

My copy just arrived today.  It's a great book so far.  The pirate font cracks me up and I didn't expect the lyrics to the shanties as well!

Thanks for all your hard work.  I tell people the story about you tabbing Gross Mayles all the time.  It really made my week/month/year.

This sounds like something I need ?

Is there any way of getting a cd or mp3 of these songs being played, on concertina or other instrument,  I think it would help to get the tune into my head?

cheers