Concertina as dominatrix ??

As a joke (I hope!) for my birthday I was given a book called 'Concertina: the Life and Loves of a Dominatrix', by Susan Winemaker.  Basically as far as I can see it's just a smutty sex novel with a female lead who calls herself Concertina, and I don't suppose I'll even read it (oh all right then, maybe I will), but it sort of got me thinking to what extent playing the concertina can take over your life and colour your waking thoughts.

Anybody know what I mean?  Or am I in a bad way?

38 minutes ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

doesn't regularly apply to us, as it refers to the dark side, Mike! ?

hate to say this, but I do know a number of Melodeon players, and not all of them are bad.

4 hours ago, Mikefule said:

I know a lot of folk musicians are into BDSM.

Bodhrans, Dancing, Singing, and Melodeons.

Should that not be Beer, more Drink, Sessions and Morris?

My wife believes I have two co-equal Dominatrix, vis Morris and Concertinas

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Peter Laban said:

There was also the book Jackie Daly likes referring to: Rum, Bum and Concertina?

Referring to life as a sailor: "On shore it's wine, women and song; on board it's rum, bum and concertina".

I don't know who first coined the expression, or if it's simply part of folklore.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2018 at 11:03 AM, maccannic said:

it sort of got me thinking to what extent playing the concertina can take over your life and colour your waking thoughts.

Anybody know what I mean?  Or am I in a bad way?

Yes, i know what you mean.

The erotic aspect of musical instruments came home to me one time when I was in Ireland on business. I saw a rather neat acoustic-electric mandolin in a music shop, and thought it would be good for band gigs with a PA, so I bought it. When I told  my cousin (with whom I was staying) of my purchase, she assumed a shocked tone of voice and said, "What? You've got a Madeline? Does your wife know about her?"

I must admit I have a faible for older women instruments.They have a past, and contribute actively to the partnership between musician and instrument. For  instance, my Windsor zither-banjo is a real Edwardian lady with a refined voice and fine but not gaudy adornments, and she leads me into her world of drawing-room ballads and - if she's feeling flighty - music-hall choruses. My duet concertina is a Crane-Triumph - a real Sally Army Lassie - and she takes me along the road of hymn tunes, gospel songs, and music-hall ditties that Gen. Booth wrote Christian words to (to keep the Devil from having all the good tunes!)

However, neither of them is of a dominating disposition, soI get to play my favourite music, too!

Just in case anyone (like a psychiatrist or something) is interested, here's a little song I wrote, based on my cousin's deliberate malapropism. It's about the time I was alone in Rome on business  - and guess what ...

Madeline

Refrain:    Madeline, Madeline,
                   Cutest one you've ever seen,
                   When I take her on my knee,
                   Madeline, she sings for me.

I was strolling down the street,
When she stayed my wandering feet.
Through the window I could see,
Madeline was made for me.

Refrain...

Now, her neck was long and slim,
And her curves were full, but trim,
And her warm Italian flair
Made me love her then and there.

Refrain...

Well, her voice was soft but clear,
Really music in my ear.
So I took her, there in Rome,
And she followed me back home.

Refrain...

Here she sits, upon my knee,
Large as life, for all to see;
Here she is, my "Madeline" --
My Italian mandolin.

Refrain...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Anglo-Irishman said:

Refrain...

Don't blame me. YOU started this. If anybondy wants to take this any further, it's not me.

Madeline, she rules my nights
She's All my valleys, all my heights
She makes me beg, she makes me plead
Of all I do, she takes the lead.

Refrain...

If there was life before she came
I can't recall, I'm not the same.
She pulls my strings, she makes me sing
her tremolo's just like a sting.

Refrain...

1 hour ago, RAc said:

If anybondy wants to take this any further, it's not me.

Well, I did say, "a psychiatrist or something!"  If one of them wants to analyse us, we can share his or her fee. Though I don't know which of us needs analysing more, Rüdiger, you or I.

@maccannic: Does this answer your question?

Cheers,

John

9 hours ago, Anglo-Irishman said:

Well, I did say, "a psychiatrist or something!"  If one of them wants to analyse us, we can share his or her fee. Though I don't know which of us needs analysing more, Rüdiger, you or I.

True. Really got to work on the CRS issue (Compulsive Rhyming Syndrome)...