Playing Tips and Advice

Hi all,

I joined a morris side up here in Scotland last year (yes, Scottish morris dancers exist, although we are a rare breed...) and as I'd been itching to learn a new instrument for ages I decided after a bit of poking around online to learn the Anglo so I could play for the side.

Being in Scotland Anglo players and/or teachers are few and far between so I was wondering if any of you good folks on here would take a look at my playing and offer any tips/pointers? I've only been playing about 3 weeks but I feel I'm finally able to cobble together a halfway decent tune that I'm willing to let others hear haha. 

I've put a video up here.

And this is what I guess I'm trying to emulate (from the excellent Gary Coover) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5PVuEKvSvE&t=13s

As I say any advice/tips/constructive criticisms would be very welcome.

Stu

Edited by StutheScot
fixing links
  • Like 1

Hey Stu, that's pretty darn good for only 3 weeks! Just keep playing as much as you can and keep that driving rhythm front of mind and you'll do much better than me in no time.  As a Morris dancer it's always good to think about what a dancer might be doing as you play, and then play to really inspire and enhance their performance.

As for the video, any time you're not doing anything visually interesting with your body or face, or singing along, maybe just show the concertina only? It's hard to avoid "concertina face" but thankfully it's easy to crop out! Or maybe do a little spoken intro for some quality "face time"?

Looking forward to hearing and seeing your progress over the next several months and years. And yes, it gets much less stressful and a lot more fun as your fingers finally master that mechanical learning curve!

Gary

Hi Stu,

as I play the English rather than the Anglo concertina I hadn't been inclined to kind of shoot ahead, so I just "liked" your post in the first instance. I can second everything what Gary is saying, only pointing to the (I guess) obvious matter that segments with rapid bellows reversals (as at 0:12 in the video) appear to slow down your playing, which you then bring up to tempo afterwards.

Instead of doing that you might want to try and practise the whole tune in a speed you're capable of keeping up throughout, and only increase the speed according to your making progress with the "difficult" parts. Whereas I don't find listening to your recording unpleasant I would suggest to follow another route for the sake of your own developing as concertinist.

Keep up the good work! Wolf